Robotics (C++) System Development Engineer Co-op - Spring 2023
Are you inspired by invention? Is problem solving through teamwork in your DNA? Do you like the idea of seeing how your work impacts the bigger picture? Answer yes to any of these and you’ll fit right in here at Amazon Robotics. We are a smart team of doers who work passionately to apply cutting edge advances in robotics and software to solve real-world challenges that will transform our customers’ experiences. We invent new improvements every day. We are Amazon Robotics and we will give you the tools and support you need to invent with us in ways that are rewarding, fulfilling, and fun.
Amazon.com empowers a smarter, faster, more consistent customer experience through automation. Amazon Robotics automates fulfillment center operations using various methods of robotic technology including autonomous mobile robots, sophisticated control software, language perception, power management, computer vision, depth sensing, machine learning, object recognition, and semantic understanding of commands. Amazon Robotics has a dedicated focus on research and development to continuously explore new opportunities to extend its product lines into new areas
This role is a 6-month Co-Op to join AR full-time (40 hours/week) from January 9, 2023 to June 23, 2023.
Amazon Robotics co-op opportunities will be based out of the Greater Boston Area in our two state-of-the-art facilities in Westborough, MA and North Reading, MA. Both campuses provide a unique opportunity to have direct access to robotics testing labs and manufacturing facilities.
Key job responsibilities
Amazon Robotics is seeking a self-motivated System Development Engineering co-op student to work with us on the design of our next-generation automated systems. Using system modeling and decision-support tools you will join a team designing innovative systems that integrate advanced robotics technologies to support Amazon business needs and enhance overall customer satisfaction. The Systems Development co-op will help identify relevant modeling and analysis techniques, develop or integrate multi-domain quantitative models and present results that support system-level analysis, performance trade-offs, and decision-making.
- Working with internal stakeholders to understand needs
- Characterize design problems and developing models
- Analyzing and presenting results to help designers better articulate drivers of system performance or value by understanding key design trade-offs.
- Currently enrolled in a Bachelors or Masters student with a focus in engineering (AE, ME, EE, Computer Science, or Operations Research) or relevant technical field of study
- Experience or education in systems engineering or modeling and simulation
- C++ Programming experience (MUST HAVE)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work well in cross-functional project teams
- Experience formulating and developing decision-support applications, models, or simulations using Excel, MATLAB, Python, or other languages and tools
- A working knowledge of advanced methods for conceptual design
- Analysis using common operations management concepts (Little’s Law, Queuing Models, Process Flow Analysis)
- Experience or interest in requirements exploration, prioritization and analysis methods such as quality function deployment (QFD), analytical hierarchy process (AHP), morphological analysis, or design structure methods (DSM).
- Risk and uncertainty analysis or using probabilistic design methods such as design of experiments (DOE), Monte Carlo simulation or real options analysis.
- Experience building interactive data visualization applications for exploring multivariate data sets.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.