Life Sciences Research Assistant I
Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) supports the nation's second largest research program conducted among the VA Hospitals and is looking for a full-time Research Assistant to join Dr. Ian Chen's research laboratory at the VA Palo Alto to support ongoing projects aiming at elucidating the molecular and cellular mechanisms of endothelial dysfunction underlying various disease conditions, including calcific aortic valve disease, coronary artery disease, and diabetes.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
The Research Assistant will support the research of a wet laboratory under the direction of the Principal Investigator - Ian Chen, MD, PhD - Instructor (Affiliated) at Stanford University.
The Research Assistant will perform basic molecular and cell biology experiments on biological tissues, stem cells, and their derivatives, as well as help to perform chart biopsy and recruiting patients for research studies.
PAVIR offers generous benefits, including comprehensive health insurance, vision, dental, 14 paid holidays, paid vacation time, sick pay, a 401(k) with a fully vested 6% company match and 3% profit share, a wellness program, commuter benefits, and professional development training. Plus, we pay for life, short-term disability, and long-term disability insurance.
Please note, this role may also be offered as temporary if preferred by candidate, this means that there would be no paid vacation or holidays but would still include health benefits.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES OF A RESEARCH ASSISTANT
Cell culture and tissue processing:
- Daily maintenance and passaging of primary cells and pluripotent stem cells, differentiation of pluripotent stem cells into endothelial cells, cryopreservation of pluripotent stem cells and their derivatives;
- Process human valve tissue with collagenase and isolate endothelial cells from human valve tissue.
- Analyze cells and tissue using molecular and cellular assays (i.e., qPCR, Western blot, immunofluorescence staining, flow cytometry, ELISA).
Study subjects recruiting:
- Perform chart biopsy to identify and recruit study patients; Explain the study procedures to study patients; Obtain informed consent per defined protocol; Answer any study-related questions from the study patients; Assist with tracking study patients for follow-up assessments.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR A RESEARCH ASSISTANT
- Required: Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
- At least 1 year of related experience in a biomedical research laboratory;
- Preferred: Experience with various biology techniques including PCR and Western blot;
- Previous experience in a variety of research techniques/methods and follow-up data collection;
- General computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook;
- Knowledge of laboratory safety rules and procedures;
- Knowledge of safe handling/storage of biohazardous chemicals and bloodborne pathogens;
- Some knowledge of research procedures and protocols gained through education or experience;
- Good communication skills (written and verbal);
- Ability to work independently and proactively, with good organizational skills;
- Ability to work within a team context and collaborate with other lab personnel.
ABOUT PALO ALTO VETERANS INSTITUTE FOR RESEARCH (PAVIR)
PAVIR facilitates research and education activities conducted at the VA Palo Alto Health Care System. At PAVIR we work with more than 160 uniquely talented medical scientists. We recruit and retain talented employees who believe in making a difference in the lives of others through innovative health research.
READY TO JOIN OUR RESEARCH TEAM?
If you feel that you would be right for this job, please fill out our initial 3-minute, mobile-friendly application. We look forward to meeting you!
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Veterans, and Individuals with a Disability are encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact email@example.com - Human Resources department.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.