Chemist Postdoctoral Scholar
In this exciting role, you will work in the Energy Storage and Distributed Resources division at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab (LBNL) and carry out multidisciplinary battery research. This position requires extensive experience in battery cathode chemistries, advanced material and comprehensive electrochemical characterizations.
What You Will Do:
- Perform advanced characterizations, e.g., synchrotron radiation and spectroscopy, scanning and transmission electron microscopy, Raman, FTIR, UV-vis, and ICP, to investigate the electrochemical and chemical processes occurring on the cathode-electrolyte interface
- Use electrochemical techniques to study the thermodynamic and kinetic behaviors of battery cathodes and gain understanding on the phase transformations and redox evolution of cathode materials
- Design and synthesize cathode materials aiming to understand the cathode-electrolyte interfaces
- Execute experiments, analyze and interpret results
- Prepare reports, manuscripts and presentations, and present progress at meetings
- Lead and coordinate collaborative research in a team of various scientific backgrounds
- Support and contribute to the development of research ideas and proposals
- Follow all the safety requirements to maintain the laboratory operation
Additional Responsibilities as needed:
- Participate in the safety training and lab management
- Mentor junior researcher in the laboratory
What is Required:
- Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering, Chemistry, or similar field
- Knowledge of solid-state chemistry and battery cathode materials
- Extensive experiences in various characterization techniques
- Experience in electrochemistry and lithium-ion battery cathode, electrolytes
- Ability to independently work toward meeting goals, solving problems, and developing scientific ideas
- Ability to initiate collaborations and participate in collaborative efforts as a member of a diverse team
- Excellent verbal and written communication, and interpersonal skills
- Experience in general battery laboratory equipment operation and maintenance.
Want to learn more about Berkeley Lab's Culture, Benefits and answers to FAQs? Please visit: https://recruiting.lbl.gov/
- This is a full-time 1 year, postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs. You must have less than 4 years of paid postdoctoral experience. Salary for Postdoctoral positions depends on years of experience post-degree.
- This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
- Salary will be predetermined based on postdoctoral step rates.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
Based on University of California Policy - SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program and U.S Federal Government requirements, Berkeley Lab requires that all members of our community obtain the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible. As a condition of employment at Berkeley Lab, all Covered Individuals must Participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by providing proof that vaccination requirements have been met or submitting a request for Exception or Deferral. Visit covid.lbl.gov for more information.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments. Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab's mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links:
Know your rights, click here for the supplement: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4.