Transmission Strategy Internship (Summer 2023)
We are seeking students who are eager to learn, self-motivated and are comfortable working independently. This internship will make an impact! Support and assist with various Transmission and Distribution Strategy projects as assigned within the Company’s Transmission & Distribution Strategy Department. These projects will be assigned consistent with the Company’s Internship Program with an emphasis on developing an understanding of the Company’s multiple business units and enhancing the intern’s ability to apply his/her engineering education in a professional environment. Learn more about our internship program here: https://careers.blackhillsenergy.com/students
PAY: $20 per hour (set by job function/department)
- Additional benefits include meaningful work, relocation benefits, intern week experience, casual dress code, plus you'll earn 401k contributions during your internship.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Manager of Transmission Strategy
LOCATION: Our Corporate Headquarters in Rapid City, South Dakota
- Relocation allowance of $1,000 provided to assist with moving.
- Must be actively enrolled in an engineering program in electrical, mechanical or computer engineering and have completed a minimum of 2 years towards a respective degree.
- No experience required.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Participation in the Company’s industry orientation experiences, which may include some travel and overnight stays. Prepare and present a synopsis of experience with the Company at the end of the internship.
- Reconcile electric system model database with equipment design and operating data to include updating slider diagrams, line impedance, protection system, voltage and reactive power control.
- Complete facility rating calculations in support of Transmission Strategy and the Reliability Center.
- Assist with system modeling and planning studies and associated documentation.
- Provide engineering support to Engineers, Drafting Technicians and other technical groups.
- Assist with project construction.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to collaborate with employees and various business contacts in a professional and courteous manner.
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment.
- Ability to prepare and give presentations.
- Attention to detail.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Word and Excel.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of business information.
MENTAL/PHYSICAL DESCRIPTIONS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The mental and physical descriptions are representative of the activities an employee in an office job performs. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Mental descriptions: Understand, remember, apply oral and/or written instructions or other information, and communicate routine factual information. Apply common sense in performing job functions, usually within a set of rules or guidelines.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee continuously accesses, inputs, and retrieves electronic information and communicates regarding the information. Employee frequently moves about the office space. Employee must be able to operate routine office equipment including computers and similar equipment. Must be able to routinely perform this work for an average of 6-8 hours per day and occasional extended hours as necessary. Must be capable of regular, reliable, and timely attendance.
Specific lifting abilities required by this job include: Light work. The employee is continuously moving about the job site or office space. Exerting up to 25 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. If the use of reaching and moving controls exertion of forces greater than that for sedentary work and the worker sits most of the time, the job is rated for light work.
Work environment: Routinely perform work indoors in climate-controlled shared work area with moderate noise level and occasionally outdoors in sometimes inclement weather. Worker may be subject to hazards including a variety of physical conditions such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, working in places of height or close quarters.
Willing to travel up to 10% (e.g. 2 days/month) by automobile (as driver and passenger), commercial airlines, rental vehicles and public transportation and be able to lodge in public facilities. Travel will be necessary to conduct the duties of this job and the employee must have proper licensing to operate a motor vehicle.
This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the agreement will apply.
About our Company: We are a customer, growth and safety focused utility company that is dedicated to our communities. We improve life with energy as an energy partner of choice. Our diverse culture fuels unique perspectives, opening doors to new insights and possibilities. Based in Rapid City, South Dakota, we have over 3000 employees and serve 1.3 million natural gas and electric utility customers across eight states (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Arkansas).
Internship benefits include meaningful work, casual dress code, relocation assistance, paid time
off, plus you are eligible to earn 401(k) contributions.
Candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Black Hills Energy does not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or status as a protected veteran. If you require reasonable accommodation, please visit careers.blackhillsenergy.com for more information.