Engineering Technician Apprentice
Bring YOUR energy to Alliant Energy!
At Alliant Energy, our purpose is to serve customers and build strong communities. We are passionate about powering beyond the market challenges of today, while powering what’s next in energy.
When our employees say “I am energy,” it means they take pride in the work we do when disaster strikes, as well as all the days in between. We reward our highly hardworking and dedicated teams and give them the support they need to ensure their safety, wellness and financial security for themselves and their families.
If you’d like to work at a place where you matter and where you can use your talents and passions to advance your career, join the Alliant Energy team.
The position: We are currently recruiting for Engineering Technician Apprentices across our Wisconsin territory.
Engineering Technicians perform engineering detail (field) work for our customers on electric and/or gas projects. This position has a mix of working in the field and in an office. Strong computer, math and communication skills are needed along with a mechanical aptitude!
Our crews are made up of experienced leads, journey level and apprentices; and, are supported by strong leadership who have a trusted commitment to safety and ethics. We have a dedicated safety team that supports our crews and each employee is provided training and development to succeed, empowering them to grow and advance.
The Apprenticeship Experience:
- Apprentices will work along side journey and lead Engineering Technicians to receive the most well rounded training experience.
- The apprenticeship is paid! Starting at $36.77
- Our apprenticeship consists of classroom and on-the-job training, and does include some travel within the state of Wisconsin.
Locations: Positions will be filled in the following locations (please note, locations and numbers may change):
- Baraboo (North Area)
- Beloit (South Area)
- Beaver Dam
- Elkhorn (3)
- Fond du Lac (North Area)
- Prairie du Chien
- Under direction and working within established policies, procedures and standards, performs the following engineering detail or associated tasks, both in the office and in the field:
- Details, prepares and closes work orders; prepares material lists, tickets and transfers.
- Prepares estimates for work orders, customer contributions and charges.
- Performs a variety of field work, including locating proper service entrances, staking, locating underground pipe, cable and other obstructions; survey work of moderate difficulty; prepares and obtains distribution easements as assigned; makes field checks and inventories; gathers and prepares information for various permits, licenses and joint use applications
- Performs various routine office work such as keeping work order and other engineering reports.
- Obtains information from engineering prints and prepares necessary maps and sketches.
- Handles ordinary inquiries involving company procedures, extension rules, service rules, code requirements, service entrance and metering requirements.
- Keeps current in knowledge and understanding of company procedures, rates, rules, practices, standards, and application of construction materials.
- Performs other duties which are similar, related or incidental to this position.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- This job is covered by the Department of Transportation regulations on drug and alcohol testing (CFR 49, Parts 40 and 199), and is subject to drug testing according to said regulations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to properly design electric and gas distribution systems.
- Basic financial skills
- Demonstrated effective computer skills in word processing, spread sheets, company software and related.
- Advanced knowledge of electrical and gas theory, company safety rules and applications, mathematics including algebra and geometry; physics
- Company construction, engineering and material standards and related company practices, processes and procedures.
- Ability to perform surveying and staking of moderate difficulty
- Knowledge of federal, state and local codes and regulations applicable to installation of overhead and underground facilities
- Demonstrated time management and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to handle customer contacts in a manner that encourages positive customer relations
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to perform the physical requirements of the job.
- Ability to work effectively in a culturally diverse work group.
It's not just what we do; it's how we do it.
Live Safety. Everyone. Always | Make Things Better | Care For Others | Do The Right Thing | Act For Tomorrow | Think Beyond. Be Bold
Alliant Energy is committed to and proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Disclaimer: The above information on this description has been crafted to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not crafted to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.