Why you should join our team
VELCO’s Data Architect is passionate about building collaborative and integrated environments. VELCO is looking for a Data Architect motivated by creativity and focused on customer service to join our Applications Team within the Information Technology department. Data Architect will provide leadership and support to establish, build, and implement the VELCO Enterprise Data Management (EDM) strategic plan
How you will make an impact
· Utilize data management best practices to provide actionable information and establish VELCO corporate system of record
· Integrate internal and external data sources using the ETL process within the EDM system
· Outline data management governing standards and principles
· Implement a data catalog of enterprise data assets and characteristics
· Evaluate and implement the use of data management and modeling tools and technologies
· Develop a reference architecture that describes and defines data specification
· Define how data flows from origination to destination points
· Define, manage, and control data integration techniques and processes
· Ensure compliance with data quality, data assurance, data security, as outlined by VELCO security and compliance policies
· Perform related database operations and management tasks as required to support database administration
Who you are
A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Data Science, or related field. Equivalent work experience is also considered. A Master’s degree may be substituted for some experience. Advanced data management training highly desirable.
The Data Architect will typically have at least 5 years of related experience
· Data management experience including Data Catalog, Data Governance, Data Quality for EDM
· Enterprise database management using SQL Server Management Studio
· Database programming experience – stored procedures, views, triggers, etc.
· Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
· Certification or training for two of following: FME, SSIS, SSAS, PowerBI, ETL, Collibra, Informatica
· Prior experience employed as any of following - DBA, Data Engineer, Data Architect, Data Mgr.
· Real time asset monitoring using software such as PI from AVEVA (Desirable)
VELCO’s commitment to our employees
• Paid Time Off – Everyone needs time off to recharge. New employees are frontloaded with prorated time off dependent upon date of hire
• Sick Leave – We advocate for staying home when you are sick
• Paid Holidays – We observe 11 paid company holidays
• Medical – Select from two comprehensive health plans. Employees have access to a Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account. We allow documented Domestic Partners on our plans
• Dental & Vision – Offers a wide range of covered services
• Wellness Program – Allows you to receive up to $100 per year for reimbursement of approved wellness expenses
• Employee Assistance Program (EAP) – Aids with mental health, stress management, work-life balance, financial and legal matters, and much more
• 401K – We offer a very generous employer match and profit share contribution
• Short Term Incentive Bonus – VELCO proudly offers a yearly incentive bonus based on individual contributions and key performance indicators
• Life Insurance – VELCO paid life insurance and supplemental coverages are available
· Starting pay will be determined at the time of offer based on the experience, education, and training of the successful candidate.
· Eligible applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
· Any offer of employment will be contingent upon successful reference check, background check, physical examination, drug screening, and documentation of Covid-19 vaccination
· Remote, hybrid and on-site work arrangements available
· VELCO is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran
The Fine Print
Prolonged periods of working on a computer. Must be able to maintain fast pace while completing complex, analytical work, in potentially stressful situations, with competing priorities, within tight timelines and with frequent interruptions. Must be able to work additional hours when necessary. Periodic travel and overnight stays will be required when attending industry workshops, trainings, etc.
Who VELCO is
VELCO sits at an inflection point of dynamic innovation in an industry undergoing transformation. Our core responsibility to operate a safe and reliable electric transmission system for Vermonters has not changed. How we fulfil that responsibility, however, changes regularly with the evolution of the system we operate and the dynamic demands of the customers we serve. These conditions require that VELCO remain unshakably focused on operational excellence today while anticipating the capabilities we will need to thrive tomorrow. Likewise, the successful Data Architect will have the capabilities to meet today’s responsibilities while having the foresight and learning orientation to anticipate VELCO’s needs well into the future.
The Data Architect at VELCO is a trusted partner excited to help us realize our Vision to create a sustainable Vermont through our people, assets, relationships and operating model. The Data Architect is someone innately committed to fulfilling our Mission to serve as a Trusted Partner by passionately living our TRUST values (Treating each other with respect; Responding with urgency; Unconditionally supporting one another; Sharing information; and Thinking outside the box).