Scientist - Nuclear Reaction Modeling & Evaluation
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform a critical review of experimental data, provide recommended values, and combine these values with theoretical calculations to develop new ENDF evaluations.
- Develop applications that apply Machine Learning techniques to accelerate data analysis, compilation, and evaluation.
- Participate in and analyze experiments related to the ENDF database and/or perform theoretical calculations to complement nuclear reaction measurements supporting ENDF library improvements.
- Document and disseminate research results through publications and conduct research presentations at meetings and conferences.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s and 8+ years, or Master’s and 6+ years, or Doctorate and 2+ years post PHD in experimental or theoretical low-energy nuclear physics or nuclear engineering or directly related experience in a scientific or research role
- Demonstrated expertise in low energy reaction theory or experiment
- Solid publication record in peer-reviewed journals
- Programming in C/C++ and Python languages
- Clear and concise oral and written communication skills in order to prepare and deliver oral presentations and write articles for scientific journals
- Attention to detail
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrated expertise in one of the following areas: (a) low-energy nuclear reaction modeling, (b) R-matrix fitting of experimental data
- Experience with data science and scientific data management
- Familiarity with the Fortran programming language
- Experience with parallel computation on HPC
- Experience with Machine Learning algorithms applicable to physical sciences, such as Gaussian Process and Bayesian network approaches