Algorithm & Analysis Engineer - EOSL
The Algorithm and Analysis Engineer in the Electro-Optical Systems Laboratory will develop engagement and mission level models using the Advanced Framework for Simulation, Integration, and Modeling (AFSIM) software to conduct analysis in support of the Department of Defense (DoD) research. The position will serve as a programmer/modeler on a dynamic team supporting multiple projects designing, developing, testing, and using mission and engagement-level models to analyze joint warfighting operations.
Responsible for the development and support of state-of-the-art algorithms involving to data fusion, sensor fusion, machine learning, manned/unmanned avionics improvement programs, and genetic programming. Algorithm engineering focuses on the design, analysis, software/hardware implementation, optimization, profiling and experimental evaluation of computer algorithms, bridging the gap between algorithm theory and practical applications of algorithms in software engineering. Statistical analysis of multi-modal and time-varying data to characterize and quantify system qualities and deficiencies, resulting in recommendations and development of improvements.
- Design data cleaning and analysis strategies, proposing new tools and modifications to existing paradigms.
- Design and execute algorithm tests, providing oversight to others.
- Lead algorithm design discussions for entire studies.
- Architect overall algorithms with detailed system and integration considerations.
- Lead technical report execution and provide oversight to others.
- Lead discussions with sponsors for studies.
- Serve as technical lead for small projects at customer sites, providing guidance to others.
- Lead technical execution and writing for sections of journal articles and conference presentations, and literature searches for finding new avenues of thought and bodies of work to explore.
- Serve as mentor or leader to students, including co-ops, GRAs and others through Institute programs.
- Develop and execute the mission and engagement-level representations and databases in the AFSIM simulation environment.
- Employ models, and advanced analytical, mathematical, or statistical techniques to analyze the outcomes of US, allied, and adversary forces executing warfighting concepts of operation.
- Identify capability and/or capacity gaps, and make recommendations on ways to reduce/eliminate capacity gaps based on additional modeling and analysis
- Advise operations research analysts, scientists, or engineers on techniques best suited for tasked problems, to include the best way to calibrate campaign-level models to represent the effects determined through mission and engagement-level modeling.
- Support pre and post-simulation analysis using AFSIM, MLAB, Python and other appropriate tools. Employ in-depth knowledge of modeling/Operations Research techniques to inform a variety of analyses and studies
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience in developing models with Modeling tools (such as AFSIM, SPAM, TMAP models, Brawler, Suppressor) or related development languages
- Experience modeling advanced military weapon systems and threat environments
- Experience applying statistical analysis techniques to interpret simulation results.
- Active TS/SCI Clearance
- MS or PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineer, or a related technical degree field
- Experience with modeling with AFSIM software
- Experience using MATLAB and/or Python
- Experience with theater Operations Plans (OPLANs) and/or Defense Planning Scenarios
10% - 25% travel
EDUCATION AND LENGTH OF EXPERIENCE
This position vacancy is an open-rank announcement. The final job offer will be dependent on candidate qualifications in alignment with Research Faculty Extension Professional ranks as outlined in section 3.2.1 of the Georgia Tech Faculty Handbook
- 2 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer/Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Systems Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or related technical field
- 0 years of related experience with a Masters’ degree in Computer Science, Computer/Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Systems Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or related technical field
U.S. CITIZENSHIP REQUIREMENTS
Due to our research contracts with the U.S. federal government, candidates for this position must be U.S. Citizens.