The Capital Area Division (CAD) of Applied Research Associates, Inc. (ARA) has an outstanding opportunity for an early career Computer Scientist with an aptitude for problem solving, consideration for personal growth, enthusiasm about supporting multiple applications in parallel, and collaboration with an interdisciplinary team of engineers and scientists. Projects may include developing new computational capabilities using existing physics-based models, creating and running software on low power hardware all the way up to high performance supercomputers, generating 3D visualizations of complex data sets, developing control logic for autonomous systems, creating 3D virtual worlds, developing machine learning solutions, and much more.
We are looking for someone who demonstrates strong technical capabilities relevant to the position, exhibit an insatiable intellectual curiosity both within and outside your primary field of expertise, and desire to work in and positively contribute to a cohesive professional team and environment. The successful candidate will work with senior staff to develop software that may run on desktops, servers, the web or cloud, mobile devices, or supercomputers. This person will support all aspects of software development, from the creation of user interfaces to producing visual presentations of results. As a computer scientist, the candidate is expected to develop and document new codes by working alongside mathematicians and other scientists, modifying existing and prototypical modeling and simulation software tools, and developing and executing tests. Software projects can range in size, from simple computational calculators to large, integrated modeling packages.
The successful applicant will support various levels of software development. Some projects may require a function or model be rapidly prototyped. Another project may require learning a programs API and using it to create a new application. Some projects may require code that is strictly used for internal research and development while others may require production level code. Familiarity with Python and C++ or C# is strongly desired. You will need experience with scientific programming using one or more of C, C++, C#, Java, Fortran, and Python, and be comfortable working in both Windows and Linux operating environments. The successful candidate should enjoy collaborating with multidisciplinary technical teams and solving difficult scientific problems in a dynamic environment.
* Experience with version control systems such as Git or Subversion
* Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science, Computational Science, Computer or Software Engineering, or similar field
* Eagerness to learn new tools and techniques
* Strong verbal and written communication skills
* Demonstrated experience developing in Microsoft Windows and Linux operating systems
* Must be a U.S. Citizen
* Must be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance
* At least 3 years relevant work experience
* MS degree in Computer Science or similar field
* Experience programming in multiple programming languages, such as C#, C++, Python, & Fortran
* Experience in robotics or autonomy and their relevant open-source tools and libraries such as ROS, Gazebo, Movelt, Ignition, or PX4
* Experience developing for ATAK
* Experience deploying virtualized or containerized software solutions
* Experience developing and working with modeling and simulation software
* Top Secret DoD Security Clearance
Applied Research Associates, Inc. is an employee-owned international research and engineering company recognized for providing technically superior solutions to complex and challenging problems in the physical sciences. The company, founded in Albuquerque, NM, in 1979, currently employs over 1400 professionals. ARA offices throughout the United States and Canada provide a broad range of technical expertise in defense technologies, civil technologies, computer software and simulation, systems analysis, environmental technologies, and testing and measurement. The corporation also provides sophisticated technical products for environmental site characterization, pavement analysis, and robotics.
At ARA, employees are our greatest assets. The corporation realizes that employee ownership spawns greater creativity and initiative along with higher performance and customer satisfaction levels. ARA gives its employees the tools, training, and opportunities to take more active roles as owners. Employees are eligible for contributions which not only add to the company’s success, but also their own through the Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP). The motto, “Engineering and Science for Fun and Profit” sums up the ARA experience. We build a positive and collaborative work environment grounded in trust and professional respect that enables each member to effectively contribute to our development efforts, create new concepts and ideas, enable lifelong learning, and pursue work that ignites each owner’s professional passions. Ultimately, we want each team member to assert that this is the best job they have ever had, whether it is the first professional experience out of college or the last job before retirement. For additional information and an opportunity to join this unique workplace, please visit our website at www.ara.com.
Please apply at www.careers.ara.com for the Computer Scientist position.
* 3 - 5 years: Relevant work experience
* Bachelors or better in Computer Science or related field
* Team Player: Works well as a member of a group
* Innovative: Consistently introduces new ideas and demonstrates original thinking
* Enthusiastic: Shows intense and eager enjoyment and interest
* Detail Oriented: Capable of carrying out a given task with all details necessary to get the task done well
* Dedicated: Devoted to a task or purpose with loyalty or integrity
* Self-Starter: Inspired to perform without outside help
* Growth Opportunities: Inspired to perform well by the chance to take on more responsibility
* Goal Completion: Inspired to perform well by the completion of tasks
* Entrepreneurial Spirit: Inspired to perform well by an ability to drive new ventures within the business
* Ability to Make an Impact: Inspired to perform well by the ability to contribute to the success of a project or the organization
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)