Biological Field Technician - (999)
Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST) a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States and Canada, is looking for a temporary Biological Field Technician in Wallops Island, Virginia. The primary responsibility of this position is to conduct standardized carcass searches for birds at a post-construction monitoring project. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
Please click here to see what benefits WEST offers!
- Compensation: $16-20 per hour DOE
- Start date: December 1, 2022
- End Date: November 30, 2023
- Location: Wallops Island, VA
- Housing: Local applicants preferred; however, a housing reimbursement will be available to qualified non-local applicants.
- Hours: Hours worked will be between 30-35 hours per week and overtime will be provided for hours worked over 40 during a given week, but are not anticipated.
- Additional Details: The Biological Field Technician will be required to follow all safety protocols for WEST and clients. The technician must have reliable transportation to/from the work site and will be reimbursed mileage at the current federal standard rate. All field equipment needed to complete surveys will be provided by WEST; however, the Biological Field Technician must provide their own suitable footwear (rugged hiking boots or mud boots) and clothing.
Surveys will be completed during 4 days per week from December 1, 2022 – November 30, 2023. Candidates experienced in conducting standardized carcass searches will be given preference.
Applicants must be in good physical condition, as surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme. Environmental conditions include working in rain, wind, mud, and extreme heat. Carcass monitoring will entail long hours of walking (approximately 5-6 hours per day, up to 5-6 miles per day), sometimes in inclement conditions (i.e, rain, wind, and insects/mosquitos).
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of all the duties that may be associated with this position.
- Bachelor's degree in natural resources, wildlife management, wildlife biology, or equivalent degree preferred; however, undergraduates and enthusiastic workers are encouraged to apply.
- Must be able to work independently and interact effectively with project managers, clients, supervisors, colleagues, and other professionals.
- The job requires the person filling this position to be able to appear for work on time; to observe for long periods of time; to follow instructions from managers and team leaders; and to maintain a positive attitude.
- Precise and thorough data collection is essential.
- Technicians will be required to follow all safety protocols for WEST and clients.
- Applicants must be in good physical shape and able to navigate rugged terrain at a measured pace throughout the day as surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme.
- Candidates must be able to withstand inclement weather and environmental conditions, including but not limited to extreme heat, rain, high winds, and large quantities of insects (mosquitos, etc.).
- Field technicians must be equipped with and provide their own suitable footwear (rugged hiking boots) and clothing.
WEST is committed to providing a safe and healthy work environment for everyone and highly recommends all prospective hires be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their start date. While WEST does not currently require vaccinations, please be aware that WEST has a mandatory vaccination policy in place should local, state or federal law require vaccinations. Additionally, WEST has certain clients that require all personnel to be vaccinated prior to working on their projects, so individuals will be required to be fully vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination prior to working on those projects. As an exception, employees may also request a Medical or Religious exemption from the vaccine requirement and the request must be supported by a doctor for a medical exemption or by a statement from the employee outlining a sincerely held belief to qualify for a religious exemption. Please contact us if you have any questions.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre- employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.