Field Biologist - (998)
Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a temporary Field Biologist to assist with bald eagle nest monitoring in Maricopa County, Arizona. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
Please click here to see what benefits WEST offers!
- Compensation:$20+/hr DOE
- Housing: NA
- Start Date: ASAP
- End Date: Through fledging- potentially through June 2023
- Location: Chandler, Arizona
The successful candidate for this position will:
- Be able to work independently with the ability to communicate and coordinate effectively with WEST supervisors, clients, and construction personnel.
- Observe an active bald eagle nest for up to 10 hours/day, up to six days/ week
- Communicate any disturbance to the nest from construction activities and enforce stop-work authority
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of all the duties which may be associated with this position.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Natural Resources, Wildlife Management, Wildlife Biology, or an equivalent degree preferred; students working towards degree may apply
- Must be experienced with raptor nest monitoring; candidates with higher level birding skills will be given preference
- Precise and thorough data collection is essential
- Must be able to use global positioning system devices, binoculars, spotting scope, and digital cameras; as well as maintain equipment
- Able to work independently or as part of a team, and interact positively with the project manager, field supervisor, landowners, and other biologists
- Must be able to appear for work on time (surveys often begin as early as sunrise)
- Maintain focus for long periods of time
- Follow instructions from manager and team leader
- Maintain positive attitude and accept guidance and constructive criticism
- Follow all WEST safety protocols
- Training will be provided for all survey efforts and job related activities
- Applicants must be in good physical condition, as surveys will be conducted in southern Arizona where temperatures and conditions can be extreme.
WEST is committed to providing a safe and healthy work environment for everyone and highly recommends all prospective hires be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their start date. While WEST does not currently require vaccinations, please be aware that WEST has a mandatory vaccination policy in place should local, state or federal law require vaccinations. Additionally, WEST has certain clients that require all personnel to be vaccinated prior to working on their projects, so individuals will be required to be fully vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination prior to working on those projects. As an exception, employees may also request a Medical or Religious exemption from the vaccine requirement and the request must be supported by a doctor for a medical exemption or by a statement from the employee outlining a sincerely held belief to qualify for a religious exemption. Please contact us if you have any questions.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre- employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.