Internship - Legal
Job Summary (includes but is not limited to the following, other duties may be assigned)
Candidates who earn positions in Calpine’s competitive, paid internship program in the legal department come away with realistic, practical perspectives regarding the practice of law at an independent energy company. They gain valuable project experience through the internship. For example, they may work individually or with a team. Some may interact with our customers as they perform field work while others conduct in-depth research on vital industry legal topics.
This supervised, paid position will allow for a rising second or third year law student to enhance their knowledge with regard to all aspects of Calpine’s legal functions. This position will require the individual to work a normal day shift. This job will be based out of the Calpine Corporation Houston Office (Houston, Texas). This position is not eligible for relocation assistance. Recent graduates and current attorneys will not be considered for this position.
Outstanding opportunity rising for an incoming second or third year law school student to gain experience with a vibrant independent power generation company. Position will assist with all areas typical in a corporate legal department, including development, contracting, energy trading, compliance, environmental, real estate, corporate records, litigation, and operations related legal issues.
- Drafting and/or reviewing a variety of commercial contracts and documents including industry-standard commodity agreements, operational and asset agreements, real estate agreements, project finance documentation, procurement and supply chain agreements, and confidentiality agreements
- Assisting counsel with due diligence, litigation, permitting issues, regulatory inquiries, corporate records, transaction closings, internal policy review
- Conducting legal research
- Attending meetings with internal business partners
- Working on miscellaneous projects as needed.
- Qualified candidate must be a rising second or third year law student and be actively enrolled at an accredited law school at the time of internship.
- 0 GPA minimum
- Legally able to work in the U.S. now and in the future without sponsorship for any employer.
- Ideal candidate will be a self-starter who possesses:
- A positive, can-do attitude
- Effective organizational, time management and multi-tasking skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Exceptional attention to detail
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the essential functions of the job and are not to be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
Candidates must provide the following when applying for this position:
- Cover letter
- Current GPA
- Short writing sample (current coursework is acceptable).
Additional Calpine Information
- Vaccination Information: Calpine requires an individual who is newly hired into this position to be vaccinated for COVID-19 within the first 28 days of employment - if not already vaccinated prior to starting employment. If you have any concerns regarding compliance with this requirement, you will need to discuss your concerns with Calpine’s HR department after a decision has been made about whether or not to make you a conditional offer of employment. Calpine does not require applicants to discuss vaccination status prior to receipt of a conditional offer of employment and complies with all applicable laws requiring reasonable accommodation.
- Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.
- Calpine is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please send an e-mail with your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are made on case-by-case basis.
Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP here