Auditor (Performance) -OIG
The Office of Inspector General is an independent office within the EPA that helps the agency protect the environment in a more efficient & cost effective manner. We perform audits, evaluations, & investigations of the EPA to promote economy, efficiency, and to prevent and detect fraud, waste and abuse. We strive to provide solutions to problems that ultimately result in making America a cleaner and healthier place.
This position will be filled through the Office of Personnel Management's delegated Direct Hire Authority (DHA). Veteran's Preference does not apply to this announcement.
This position offers the opportunity to work in a maximum telework capacity as authorized by the agency.
This position is located in the Office of Inspector General, Office of Audit. The Office of Audit performs complex audits of EPA programs that align with the EPA's top management challenges, and makes recommendations to combat fraud, waste and abuse and enhance efficiencies in achieving its mission of protecting human health and the environment. To further its mission, the Office of Audit also performs the following functions: Advises OIG personnel and others concerning program operations and audit approaches. Works with senior officials from the EPA; the Office of Management and Budget (0MB); other federal, state, and local offices; professional organizations and environmental organizations to further coordination, customer service and results. Prepares reports and delivers presentations on audit methods, findings and recommendations. Conducts research on and stays abreast of methods that can be used for audits.
Individuals with environmental science, environmental engineering, social sciences, public health science, or other sciences, accounting, business administration, finance, policy analysis, public policy, public administration, or related degrees are strongly encouraged to apply.
Individuals who are Certified Environmental Auditors, Certified Professional Environmental Auditors, or Certified Process Safety Auditors are strongly encouraged to apply.
Duties listed are at full performance grade GS-13 level.
The ideal candidate will perform the following duties:
- Perform assignments of one or more environmental programs, such as water, air, hazardous waste, pesticides, chemical safety, pollution prevention, and research and development;
- Independently conducts complex nationwide assignments (performance audits or evaluations) to assess the effectiveness, efficiency, and economy of programs and operations of the EPA and the Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board;
- Advise teams and higher-level management officials and addresses problems that have been referred by others;
- Develop optimum approaches for the assignment through an assessment of several techniques, knowledge of private and public sector best practices, and assessing the probability of significant findings for the effect and cost benefit; and
- Develop or assists in developing comprehensive audit reports that depict the results of the audit work performed and produce recommendations for Agency action.