Senior Molecular Biologist
The Capital Area Division (CAD) of Applied Research Associates, Inc (ARA) is seeking to hire a full-time Senior Molecular Biologist. This right candidate will provide operational, research and development and training support along with subject matter expert advice and decision support to the Defense Threat Reduction Agency (DTRA) as part of its 24/7/365 Reachback contract. The ideal candidate will use applied knowledge to develop, integrate, test, verify, validate, and apply CBRNE (chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear, and high explosive) software/scenarios based on results of experiments, predicted phenomena, and theoretical and computational methods. He/she will work closely with other engineering groups to define the modeling objectives, obtain the required model inputs and outputs, and verify and validate results. Presentation of modeling results and decision support aid to both internal and external customers in the form of written reports and oral presentations are required. Finally, this position requires the ability to critically analyze the work of other engineers performing modeling projects. Shift work is required.
Specific Duties Include:
• Reviewing current research in various and potentially diverse subject areas for familiarity and relevance
• Becoming familiar with new experiments and resulting data that are relevant to the project and evaluating the overall quality of the presented results
• Providing general knowledge and biological medical defense subject matter expertise to government agencies and first responders
• Assisting in the development of program plans, timelines, and technical documents related to projects
• Attending technical and programmatic meetings in which you coordinate responses from scientific community members and review the assembled materials for technical accuracy, consistency, and completeness.
• MS or PhD (Ph.D. or D.Sc.) degree in Microbiology with experience in molecular and cellular immunology.
• Familiarity with latest techniques in biomedical sciences is highly desired.
• Must have at least 3 – 5 years of previous scientific modeling experience in microbiology, immunology or toxicology.
• Strong communication skills, technical presentation, teamwork mentality, graphic visualization, and Microsoft Office proficiency skills are required.
• Must be able to obtain and maintain a DoD security clearance
• Candidates with experience in Combating WMD threats (primarily through modeling and simulation and/or test experience) in addition to a working knowledge of using ArcGIS tools in an operational environment are preferred.
• Experience working with organizations within the Department of Defense as well as other government agencies such as HHS, CDC, etc.
• Experience in virology or microbiology.
• Current and active security clearance.
• Familiarity with latest techniques in biomedical sciences.
Applied Research Associates, Inc. is an employee-owned international research and engineering company recognized for providing technically superior solutions to complex and challenging problems in the physical sciences. The company, founded in Albuquerque, NM, in 1979, currently employs over 1200 professionals. ARA offices throughout the United States and Canada provide a broad range of technical expertise in defense technologies, civil technologies, computer software and simulation, systems analysis, environmental technologies, and testing and measurement. The corporation also provides sophisticated technical products for environmental site characterization, pavement analysis, and robotics.
At ARA, employees are our greatest assets. The corporation realizes that employee ownership spawns greater creativity and initiative along with higher performance and customer satisfaction levels. ARA gives its employees the tools, training, and opportunities to take more active roles as owners. The culture is challenging; innovation and experimentation are the norm. Employees are eligible for contributions which not only add to the company’s success, but also their own through the Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP). The motto, “Engineering and
Science for Fun and Profit” sums up the ARA experience. For additional information and an opportunity to join this unique workplace, please visit our website at www.ara.com.
Please apply at www.careers.ara.com for the Senior Molecular Biologist position.
• 3 - 5 years: Relevant work experience
• Masters or better in Molecular Biology or related field
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)