Electrical Engineer, Senior
Why you should join our team
The Senior Electrical Engineer will design, plan, and supervise the construction of power delivery facilities. This Engineer will perform power system studies, maintain various engineering software models and troubleshoot and analyze system disturbances.
The Senior Electrical Engineer will build on the talent and skills of a practicing engineer to make competent engineering recommendations and decisions and to manage technical projects with minimum to no manager oversight. It is typical for an individual to be in this job classification for a large part of their career. It is expected that expertise in a particular area of engineering is developed in this classification. Senior Engineers will mentor less experienced engineers. VELCO has a four-level career ladder. This third level is for accomplished engineers with typically a minimum of 7 years engineering experience. All of the criteria of the Engineer level should be met.
Where applicable, the Senior Engineer directs and oversees junior or subordinate staff members in the performance of electrical studies, system design and specification, protective coordination and commissioning of high voltage power delivery facilities. They will supervise and support the operation, maintenance and compliance tasks related to said systems.
How you will make an impact
· Maintain system short circuit models, thermal ratings databases and miscellaneous software databases.
· Perform short circuit studies, fault clearing studies and similar analytical studies and deliver results and recommendations in engineering reports.
· Develop power system analysis electrical computations and relay coordination studies associated with protective equipment.
· Development of protective relay setting basis documentation, setting files and associated test plans.
· Perform analysis of protective relay system operations resulting from system disturbances and explain results to System Operations personnel and others requiring this information.
· Perform design of protective relay systems, revenue metering, and SCADA monitoring and control systems with input from all company departments. Effectively communicate and coordinate with the company technical disciplines to insure systems and schemes are designed to meet applicable industry standards and the company’s corporate objectives for a safe, reliable and economic transmission system.
· Develop, review and maintenance of company design standards, specifications, engineering procedures, and equipment configuration settings templates.
· Work with CAD/GIS group on the development and maintenance of all protection and control drawings.
· Assist in the commissioning oversight of new and upgraded substations and their subsystems, on both large and small projects, to insure that systems have been installed and commissioned per the “engineered” design.
· Perform other related duties as assigned.
Who you are
To thrive in this role, a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering is required. A Master’s Degree in Engineering or a specialized industry credential such as a Certificate in Power Systems Management, together with a history of sustained exceptional performance, is expected.
Registered Professional Engineering License from the State of Vermont is expected.
The Senior Electrical Engineer will typically have greater than 7 years of engineering experience.
Skills and knowledge will include reading and interpreting electrical schematics, performing electrical computations and developing configuration files for microprocessor based protective relaying devices and other substation intelligent electronic devices.
· Thorough understanding of electrical engineering principles, practices, and tools.
· Proficient with computer-assisted design (CAD), Aspen or equivalent short circuit modelling software, PSSE or PLSF, and other design, data recording, and analyzation software.
· Proficient in MS Office suite of programs
· Demonstrate knowledge of the per-unit analysis
· Thorough understanding of NESC, NEC and OSHA safety regulations related to assigned projects
· Testing and commissioning experience of electrical systems
· Understanding of communications networks and associated protocols
· Working knowledge of modern microprocessor protective relays and their software packages, i.e. Schweitzer and GE-UR relays and engineering software.
· Scripting/Coding; C++, Python
· Ability to identify and solve complex problems.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Ability to be both creative and analytical.
· Extremely detail-oriented and accurate.
VELCO’s commitment to our employees
· Paid Time Off – Everyone needs time off to recharge. New employees are frontloaded with prorated time off dependent upon date of hire
· Sick Leave – We advocate for staying home when you are sick
· Paid Holidays – We observe 11 paid company holidays
· Medical – Select from two comprehensive health plans. Employees have access to a Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account. We allow documented Domestic Partners on our plans
· Dental & Vision – Offers a wide range of covered services
· Wellness Program – Allows you to receive up to $100 per year for reimbursement of approved wellness expenses
· Employee Assistance Program (EAP) – Aids with mental health, stress management, work-life balance, financial and legal matters, and much more
· 401K – We offer a very generous employer match and profit share contribution
· Short Term Incentive Bonus – VELCO proudly offers a yearly incentive bonus based on individual contributions and key performance indicators
· Life Insurance – VELCO paid life insurance and supplemental coverages are available
· Starting pay will be determined at the time of offer based on the experience, education, and training of the successful candidate.
· Eligible applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
· Any offer of employment will be contingent upon successful reference check, background check, physical examination, drug screening, and documentation of Covid-19 vaccination
· VELCO is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran
Who VELCO is
VELCO sits at an inflection point of dynamic innovation in an industry undergoing transformation. Our core responsibility to operate a safe and reliable electric transmission system for Vermonters has not changed. How we fulfil that responsibility, however, changes regularly with the evolution of the system we operate and the dynamic demands of the customers we serve. These conditions require that VELCO remain unshakably focused on operational excellence today while anticipating the capabilities we will need to thrive tomorrow. Likewise, the successful Electrical Engineer, Senior will have the capabilities to meet today’s responsibilities while having the foresight and learning orientation to anticipate VELCO’s needs well into the future.
The Electrical Engineer, Senior at VELCO is a trusted partner excited to help us realize our Vision to create a sustainable Vermont through our people, assets, relationships and operating model. The Electrical Engineer, Senior is someone innately committed to fulfilling our Mission to serve as a Trusted Partner by passionately living our TRUST values (Treating each other with respect; Responding with urgency; Unconditionally supporting one another; Sharing information; and Thinking outside the box).
The Fine Print
· Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
· Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
· Must be able to travel to various project sites.
· Must be able to access and navigate job sites and construction areas.
Interested applicants, please submit your resume and cover letter at https://velco.breezy.hr/