Real Estate & Right of Way Specialist
Why you should join our team
The role is responsible for protecting VELCO’s real property investments, acquiring land and easements for various substation and transmission projects, and maintaining the CLS landowner database to ensure public and employee safety, and electric system reliability. In addition, the Real Estate & ROW Specialist is the liaison between landowners, contractors, developers, and project teams, and effectively communicates and coordinates VELCO construction activities and landowner concerns so projects proceed in a respectful and professional manner and remain on schedule.
How you will make an impact
· Perform work under the direction and supervision of higher-level staff
· Participate on Capital Project Teams as the ROW representative, prepare reports, and meet schedule and budget expectations
· Coordinate and support the work of contracted ROW agents
· Respond to landowner inquiries
· Coordinate inter-departmental review of ROW Usage Requests
· Coordinate survey services, develop SOWs
· Perform land records research and property valuation assessments
· Maintain the land management (CLS) database and land records documentation
· Assist with ROW outreach and participate in public informational forums
· Develop working knowledge of easements, licenses, leases, settlements, contracts, etc.
· Demonstrate support of VELCO’s high performance culture that emphasizes empowerment, quality, productivity and on-going development of a superior workforce.
· Participate in IRWA Chapter 16 activities
· Perform other duties as assigned by the Real Estate & ROW (Manager/Lead).
Who you are
· Minimum Associates degree in business or related field, or equivalent experience.
· International Right of Way Association membership and Right of Way Agent (RWA) credentials are desirable.
· Minimum RWA certification is required within the first three years of holding this position.
· At least two years of progressive experience in the utility, legal, real estate, or customer service business is required.
· Superior written, verbal communication, and active listening skills are a must.
· Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
· Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
· Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
· A basic understanding of real estate transactions and the utility business.
· Ability to develop collaborative relationships.
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and related software.
VELCO’s commitment to our employees
· Paid Time Off – Everyone needs time off to recharge. New employees are frontloaded with prorated time off dependent upon date of hire
· Sick Leave – We advocate for staying home when you are sick
· Paid Holidays – We observe 11 paid company holidays
· Medical – Select from two comprehensive health plans. Employees have access to a Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account. We allow documented Domestic Partners on our plans
· Dental & Vision – Offers a wide range of covered services
· Wellness Program – Allows you to receive up to $100 per year for reimbursement of approved wellness expenses
· Employee Assistance Program (EAP) – Aids with mental health, stress management, work-life balance, financial and legal matters, and much more
· 401K – We offer a very generous employer match and profit share contribution
· Short Term Incentive Bonus – VELCO proudly offers a yearly incentive bonus based on individual contributions and key performance indicators
· Life Insurance – VELCO paid life insurance and supplemental coverages are available
· Starting pay will be determined at the time of offer based on the experience, education, and training of the successful candidate.
· Eligible applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
· Any offer of employment will be contingent upon successful reference check, background check, physical examination, drug screening, and documentation of Covid-19 vaccination
· This position is not a remote position. Due to the nature and security of this work, the individual filling this role is expected to work at the Pinnacle campus.
· VELCO is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran
Who VELCO is
VELCO sits at an inflection point of dynamic innovation in an industry undergoing transformation. Our core responsibility to operate a safe and reliable electric transmission system for Vermonters has not changed. How we fulfil that responsibility, however, changes regularly with the evolution of the system we operate and the dynamic demands of the customers we serve. These conditions require that VELCO remain unshakably focused on operational excellence today while anticipating the capabilities we will need to thrive tomorrow. Likewise, the successful Real Estate & Right of Way Specialist will have the capabilities to meet today’s responsibilities while having the foresight and learning orientation to anticipate VELCO’s needs well into the future.
The Real Estate & Right of Way Specialist at VELCO is a trusted partner excited to help us realize our Vision to create a sustainable Vermont through our people, assets, relationships and operating model. The Real Estate & Right of Way Specialist is someone innately committed to fulfilling our Mission to serve as a Trusted Partner by passionately living our TRUST values (Treating each other with respect; Responding with urgency; Unconditionally supporting one another; Sharing information; and Thinking outside the box).
The Fine Print
· Must be able to withstand prolonged periods of sitting or standing at a desk while working on a computer.
· Must maintain a valid VT driver’s license.
· Must be able to access VELCO’s assets, often located in areas of difficult terrain, in all weather conditions.
· Must be able to lift up to 30 pounds at times.