Postdoctoral Fellow - Microbiology and Immunology
Join the HJF Team!
The Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine (HJF) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing military medicine. We serve military, medical, academic and government clients by administering, managing and supporting preeminent scientific programs that benefit members of the armed forces and civilians alike. Since its founding in 1983, HJF has served as a vital link between the military medical community and its federal and private partners. HJF's support and administrative capabilities allow military medical researchers and clinicians to maintain their scientific focus and accomplish their research goals.
HJF is seeking a Postdoctoral Fellow to support DoD and NIH-funded projects to understand genetic mechanisms of Enterococcus faecalis biofilm formation and to develop therapeutics for biofilm infections in Dr. Kristi Frank’s laboratory at Uniformed Services University in the Department of Microbiology and Immunology. Responsible for initiating and carrying out research projects both independently and in collaboration with a research team. Pursues research along a focused line of inquiry, designs experiments, prepares scientific manuscripts and presentations.
- Assists in designing, developing, executing, and implementing scientific research and/or development.
- Investigates the feasibility of applying a wide variety of scientific principles and theories to potential inventions and products.
- Performs specialized laboratory research utilizing experimental protocols which involves specialized procedures.
- Collects and handles samples and keeps detailed records of experiments.
- Assists with the preparation of data for presentations at scientific meetings and for publication in journals.
- May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned or directed by the supervisor. This may include attendance of and participation in required training for role.\
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of appropriate scientific area and associated fundamental techniques such as aseptic technique, culturing of bacteria, PCR, and molecular cloning; ability to analyze and interpret data; use of spreadsheets and graphing software to analyze data; ability to meet deadlines of projects; good communication and analytical skills; ability to work both independently and as part of a team. Experience working with animals, tissue culture, and protein purification is beneficial but not required.
- This position will take place primarily in a laboratory setting.
Education and Experience
- Doctoral degree
- Minimum of 0-5 years experience required.
All HJF employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination or an approved religious or medical accommodation will be required.
Employment with HJF is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, which may include, but is not limited to, contacting your professional references, verification of previous employment, education and credentials, a criminal background check, and a department of motor vehicle (DMV) check if applicable. Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.