BRIEF POSTING DESCRIPTION:
The Substation Engineering Department of the Engineering Division at Hawaiian Electric Company - Maui County has one (1) Management vacancy available. (Role: Professional)
This posting seeks to fill an Engineer II.
Under direction of higher-level professional engineers, performs design, project engineering, project management, standards development, and general engineering duties in support of the capital construction programs of Hawaiian Electric Company, Maui Electric Company and Hawaii Electric Light Company.
As a fully competent engineer in all conventional aspects of higher assignments, plans and conducts work requiring judgment in the independent evaluation, selection, and substantial adaptation and modification of standard techniques, procedures and criteria. Devises new approaches to problems encountered.
- Independently performs most assignments with instructions as to the general results expected. Receives technical guidance on unusual or complex problems and supervisory approval on proposed plans for projects.
- Prepares plans, layouts, design calculations, applies design and construction standards and related engineering design work in accordance with Company standards, applicable codes, ordinances and regulations. Develops new or improved techniques and procedures for equipment, material, products, or methods.
- Performs project engineering and project management functions on major capital projects for Hawaiian Electric. Company, Maui Electric Company and Hawaii Electric Light Company.. Works with City/County, State, and Federal government agencies on rules, regulations and permits regarding projects.
- Conducts engineering studies, prepares reports, and reviews/comments on technical reports and studies prepared by others.
- Prepares requests for proposal for engineering services, evaluates proposals and makes recommendations. Directs design efforts by consultants and checks designs prepared by consultants.
- Prepares material, equipment construction specifications for bid, and evaluates proposals and makes recommendations for purchase.
- Develops project schedules and project cost estimates for inclusion in the capital budget.
- Conducts field inspections to verify field conditions and check compliance with specifications, then prepares reports of findings.
- Participates in Company emergency response and other company activities as assigned.
- Understands the Company’s Policies, Mission, Vision, Values, and are following the culture dimensions to ensure the success of the company.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of power engineering design, project engineering, project management, design standards, development and construction methods associated with electric utility facilities normally acquired through a minimum of 5 years relevant engineering experience.
- Working knowledge of personal computers and/or mainframe systems and related software applications such as spreadsheets, word processing, and ability to learn additional software tools to perform work. etc.
- Working knowledge of City/County, State and Federal laws, ordinances, regulations, codes, practices, and procedures as related to specific projects and assignments.
- Knowledge of Hawaiian Electric’s Capital and O&M budget procedures.
- Knowledge of System Planning and Protection.
- Working knowledge of business writing, accounting, economics, business law and finance are desirable.
- Working knowledge of LEAN continuous improvement principles and best practices to achieve operational excellence.
- Working knowledge of SafeStart principles and best practices to achieve a safe workplace environment.
- Demonstrated leadership skills including effective written, oral and listening communications skills and interpersonal skills, in order to work effectively with all levels of the company, with outside contractors and consultants, governmental agencies, community groups and customers.
- Ability to conceptualize new ideas quickly.
- Ability to remain flexible in a demanding work environment and adapt to rapidly changing priorities.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills to handle confrontational, difficult and/or sensitive issues. Ability to handle such issues with professionalism while using tact, courtesy, and discretion.
- Demonstrated in-depth analytical and administrative skills for such tasks as preparing and monitoring project requirements and resolving cost and time constraints, conflicting priorities.
- Must have or be able to qualify for a current State of Hawaii driver’s license to conduct on-site surveys/inspections of projects. Must meet the requirements for required driving positions as stated in the Hiring Standards for Required Company Drivers policy.
- Multiple (5 – 7) years of experience in the design of additions, modifications, extensions, upgrades and arrangements of company generation, transmission, substation, and communication and control systems and facilities, protective relaying systems, or power systems analysis work, and five (5) years design experience must be in a specific area of expertise.
- Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited engineering school in Electrical Engineering or equivalent of the degree in appropriate education, or equivalent experience.
- State of Hawaii Professional Engineer License in relevant discipline is required in order to stamp drawings and designs required to obtain construction and building permits.
Number of Vacancies: 1
Location: Kahului Base Yard - Maui
Pay Range: The hiring range for the Engineer II, Req ID #: 7750 position is $82,400 to $105,100. The person selected will be placed according to his/her skills and qualifications. The hiring supervisor is Dave Okamura.
Interested individuals who are employees of affiliate companies should apply online. The application must clearly indicate the demonstrated experience/knowledge/skills/abilities the candidate possesses which specifically qualifies him/her for the position.