The Social Science Research Council (SSRC) is an independent, international, nonprofit organization devoted to the advancement of interdisciplinary research in the social sciences through a wide variety of workshops and conferences, fellowships and grants, summer training institutes, scholarly exchanges, research, and publications. For more information, please visit our website: www.ssrc.org.
The SSRC invites applications for the position of Program Manager in the Mellon Mays Graduate Initiatives Program (MMGIP). This position will report to the Program Director and will manage a team of professionals dedicated to the successful operation of one of the SSRC’s largest fellowship programs. Funded by the Mellon Foundation, the MMGIP supports fellows of the Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellowship Program (MMUF) from the early graduate stages to the post-PhD years through a successive program of targeted seminars and modest research grants. For more information, please visit http://www.ssrc.org/programs/mellon-mays-graduate-initiatives-program/.
- MA in one of the social sciences, the humanities, or a closely related field
- A high level of interest in and a strong commitment to the advancement of diversity in higher education
- 3+ years of program management experience required
- Experience in project management with attention to detail
- Experience supervising support personnel and/or preparation of grant proposals a plus
- Familiarity with and strong interest in programs designed to support and strengthen the work of researchers
- Demonstrated success in administering complex tasks in an office environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including solid presentation skills, with the ability to communicate effectively to a variety of audiences
- Ability to work collaboratively, as well as to independently manage multiple priorities and lead program staff where needed
- Ability to multitask and prioritize, as well as adapt and be flexible
- High level of proficiency in all MS Office applications, as well as database and communications technology and social media
- Experience in maintaining expense accounts and budgeting
- Ability to travel in the United States and occasionally abroad
- Manage the operations of the program, including multiple projects and events
- Work regularly with external contacts
- Assist the Program Director and other staff in the planning and implementation of seminars, workshops, and conferences
- Represent MMGIP within the SSRC to other programs and the fellowships team
- Provide on- and offsite support for program events, including supervising interns and temporary workers
- Manage fellowship database and provide administrative support for the application review process
- Oversee payment processing for fellows and vendors
- Oversee social media presence and content
TERMS, SALARY AND BENEFITS
Annual salary is commensurate with experience. Comprehensive benefits include health, dental, vision, disability, life, and gym reimbursement; annual tuition and/or student loan reimbursement and professional development funds; outstanding pension plan and tax savings programs; generous vacation and sick leave; and more.
Remote work is available through June 2023.
Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled.
The Social Science Research Council is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We are dedicated to equal employment opportunity and to cultivating and sustaining a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce. SSRC maintains a policy of non-discrimination with all employees and applicants for employment. All aspects of employment with the Council are made on the basis of competence, skill, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, creed, color, religion, sex/gender, national origin/ancestry, ethnicity, age, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital or domestic partner status, medical conditions (including pregnancy and/or genetic information), physical or mental disability, citizenship status, or any other categories prohibited by law.