Deputy Director Research Partnerships and Technology Transfer
Office of Research Partnerships and Technology Transfer
Reporting to the Director-RPTT, manages the RPTT organization in conjunction with, and in the absence of, the Director. In addition, specifically manages RPTT’s day-to-day operations, project management, business development, business/market intelligence, risk and compliance activities, operational policies and quality. Collaborates with internal stakeholders to support the Laboratory export compliance program.
Develops and maintains effective partnerships to grow BNL’s involvement in Strategic Partnership Projects (SPP) work. Engages with external stakeholders such as economic development authorities, Department of Energy Brookhaven Site Office (BHSO), and sponsors. Participates in BNL’s National Security Growth Council and SPP Growth Council. Addresses strategic opportunities and works with technical leads to move these initiatives forward.
Collaborates with other RPTT managers on SPP and license agreement terms and conditions, Business Plans, and negotiating complex contracting issues.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead and manage RPTT’s day to day operations, project management, and compliance activities
- Develop effective partnerships inside and outside of the DOE complex to grow BNL’s involvement in SPP work.
- Integral participant in the Lab’s National Security Growth Council, and participate in the SPP Growth Council. The National Security Growth Council coordinates cross-directorate Strategic Intelligence Partnership Program (SIPP) efforts, while the SPP Growth Council coordinates all cross-directorate SPP efforts.
- Represent BNL at various meetings and conferences as needed.
- Lead Market Intelligence/Market Segmentation and Business Intelligence efforts.
- Decision maker on Strategic Partnership Project terms and conditions in the absence of RPTT Director.
- Implementation of Corrective Action Plan and process improvements to ensure quality performance. Formulating Business Plans. Both independently and in conjunction with the Director and Research Partnerships Management
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree required with at least fifteen (15) years of experience related to the Department of Energy’s mission in large, multi-disciplinary research organizations OR related experience with equivalent large research organizations.
- Must include some managerial experience.
- Experience in developing capture strategies and/or building programs.
- Experience reflecting leadership, interpersonal, management, communication, analytic, and decision-making skills.
- Experience in successfully communicating with key stakeholders, clients, program sponsors and internal staff
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Advanced degree in Business or equivalent preferred.
- Existing professional connections with funding agencies and industry. Experience working with other DOE laboratories.
- The ability to obtain and maintain a DOE “Q/SCI” security clearance.
- Experience in leading and executing classified programs.