The Magnet Division (MD) has openings for mechanical technicians to work on superconducting coil fabrication in support of the High Luminosity Accelerator Upgrade Project (AUP) for the LHC (Large Hadron Collider) at CERN. Working under the supervision of a senior technician, as well as mechanical and electrical engineering staff, you will be expected to become fully proficient in all aspects of coil construction, including winding, curing, reaction, impregnation, inspection and testing. You will also be expected to perform other various tasks as needed on other aspects of the AUP project or other Research & Development projects within MD.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Using a high degree of skill, initiative, and judgment, is responsible for the quality and productivity of superconducting coil fabrication:
- Careful assembly and inspection of superconducting coils,
- Attention to and completion of assembly travelers,
- Identification and reporting of construction problems, defects, and any other fabrication issues
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Technical institute or Associates Degree in a related technical field or experience equivalency
- Four (4) years of related experience:
- Mechanical skills:
- assembly and disassembly of precise electro/mechanical components and assemblies
- familiarity with and skilled in the use of hand tools
- skilled in the use of inspection tools, e.g., micrometer, Vernier caliper, dial indicator, multimeter, etc.
- Good verbal / written / computer communication skills
- Ability to read and interpret mechanical drawings and to follow detailed written work procedures and specifications.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Degree in industrial or electro-mechanical systems.
- Familiarity with electrical and mechanical equipment; hydraulics, power supplies, etc.
- Use of machine tools (machinist skills): drilling, tapping, machine lathe, milling machine.