Complex Scattering Beamline Scientist
Working together with beamline scientists, data analysis scientists, beamline technicians and engineers, and other support staff, the successful candidate will support the user program and beamline operations at the CMS beamline. The candidate will also collaborate with NSLS-II staff, BNL scientists, and/or external researchers to develop an independent scientific or technical research and development program, such as instrumentation or methodology development, which leverages or enhances the capabilities of the CMS beamline.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the CMS beamline: beamline development, operations, maintenance and troubleshooting, and high-volume user program;
- Development of an independent research program and technical capabilities/methodologies. This may benefit from internal and external scientific collaborations that leverage the unique capabilities of the beamline;
- Interact with the scientific user community and work with the Complex Scattering Program staff to help grow user programs for x-ray scattering and execute technical developments needed to facilitate the growth.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- PhD in materials science, physics, chemistry, or a related field
- At least two (2) years of postdoctoral or equivalent experience associated with activities at synchrotron x-ray or neutron scattering beamlines
- Expertise in using small- or wide-angle x-ray scattering techniques, with a relevant publication record.
- Demonstrated aptitude for programming in Python or similar language.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment with a diverse group of scientists, engineers, technical staff, and users
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrated experience with grazing-incidence scattering (GISAXS/GIWAXS) and related data reduction and analysis
- Demonstrated experience with in-situ studies of materials by using x-ray scattering techniques
- Hands-on experience with the design, installation, and commissioning of advanced scientific instrumentation in a laboratory or at a user facility.
- Demonstrated experience with operating a synchrotron beamline and providing user support.