Manager, Communications and Marketing - Climate and Energy
Manager, Communications and Marketing - Climate and Energy
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through powerful networks and advocacy, Ceres tackles the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our web site (www.ceres.org).
Description and Responsibilities
The Climate and Energy program is advancing climate solutions at the pace and scale necessary to stabilize the climate hinges like never before on actions, investments, and leadership in businesses and investor communities. Ceres has heightened its communications strategies to amplify meaningful clean energy commitments and accelerate the transition to low-carbon economy in the private sector. The Climate and Energy program focuses includes decarbonize the electric power and transportation sectors through investments in renewable energy, energy efficiency, and electric vehicle infrastructure, to influence corporate and investor actions to adopt science-based greenhouse gas emissions reductions targets, analyze and disclose exposure to climate-related risks, and shift spending from high carbon to clean energy.
The Communications and Marketing Manager position will develop and support execution of short and long-term communications planning to include strategies that generate an uptake in earned media coverage on climate and clean energy leadership and elevate the voices and actions of influential investors and companies through various traditional, digital, and social communication channels and tactics. The manager will work closely with the Communications and Marketing Team in addition to the Climate and Energy Team at Ceres. This position will be responsible for executing on both planned and rapid response activities that are pivotal in expanding Ceres’ position in climate and clean energy in the U.S. and beyond. This position reports to the Climate and Energy Senior Program Director with a dotted line relationship to the Vice President of Communications and Marketing.
This role is a full-time position that is remote or may be based in Boston, MA or San Francisco, CA. Candidate must be flexible to work with employees in all US time zones.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Develop and support execution of long-term communication’s plans for the Ceres’ Climate and Energy Team and Ceres’ Ambition 2030 Initiative, which works to transform the oil and gas, electric power, steel, transportation, food, and banking sectors
- Conduct targeted media relations and outreach to generate uptake in earned news coverage of Ceres’ expert leaders, investors, and company leadership
- Identify, train, and deploy Ceres experts, investors, and company media spokespeople to conduct on-the-record interviews and provide quotes and statements, author columns/op-eds and editorials, and participate in social media outreach
- Serve as co-chair of the Climate Action 100+ Communication Working Group
- Work closely with Communications and Marketing Team to develop media toolkits for research reports and initiative rollouts, coordinate internal and external partners, and ensure consistency in framing, messaging, and design
- Identify key communications priorities and moments to help ensure communications elements are coordinated and organized closely together with relevant initiatives to integrate climate and energy communications plans with Ceres’ overall communications and marketing priorities calendar
- Support strategies for paid and unpaid media via columns/blogs and multi-media content to promote solutions-oriented stories, demonstrating the economic benefits (jobs, savings, etc.) of business and investment decisions that advance climate solutions
- Develop media plans to elevate Ceres’ carbon asset risk initiative to continue to amplify investor engagement and strong shareholder votes
- Coordinate and help manage relationship with long-time external consultant on transportation-related communications activities and messaging
- Develop, maintain, and expand relationships with external partner organizations and coalitions
- Identify and cultivate new strategic (paid and unpaid) media/social media partnerships
- Support Ceres digital communications and marketing on social media, e-Community, annual report, and other content needs to amplify impact and messaging on digital platforms
- Ensure regular communications with investors, company media spokespeople and communications staff, reporters, and producers to cultivate and maintain those relationships
· Provide communications and marketing support as needed for key Ceres events (e.g., Ceres Conference, biennial Investor Summit, etc.)
- Minimum of 3 years of work experience in journalism, communications, public relations, required
- Experience developing media relations strategies and working in fast-paced media environments
- Experience working on environment, energy, and/or transportation, oil and gas, electric power issues, is a plus
- Demonstrated interest in climate and clean energy and/or sustainability issues, preferred
- Strong writing and fact-checking skills with experience writing for traditional and digital media audiences including pitches, press releases, statements, columns/op-eds, etc.
- Experience with producing content and messaging that resonates with various audiences including traditional and digital media, and the business community
- Existing relationships with business, climate and energy reporters and broadcast producers, is a plus
· Demonstrated initiative and motivation, and ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
· Experience managing and strengthening relationships and coordinating with multiple partners and coalitions, and/or consultants
- Strong project management skills and ability to prioritize projects with a proven track record of successfully completing projects on time
- Sound judgment and high level of integrity and professionalism, with an ability to manage confidential information and maintain discretion, diplomacy, and courtesy in all contacts
· Strong organizational and time management skills, with keen attention to detail
· Highly developed written and verbal communication skills
· Demonstrate excellent research and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team
· Willingness to travel as needed
· Desire to work in a not-for-profit, advocacy-focused organization
· Proficient with Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), other database applications, teleconference and webinar systems and standard e-mail computer applications
· Interest and willingness to be trained on specific Ceres’ applications necessary for success: Salesforce, Bloomberg, and others
· Interest in being part of a diverse workforce and willingness to support Ceres’ Commitment to Inclusion and Equity
Compensation: The hiring salary is $75,000 to $78,000 and pairs with competitive benefits.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit a resume, cover letter, two writing samples, and a list of three references, as well as complete the additional information as instructed.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.