Senior Software Developer
ARA is looking for Software Developers to join our expanding teams in Raleigh NC and Suffolk, VA. Our developers support projects in the areas of situational awareness, cyber effects modeling, and electronic warfare modeling. You will be a key member of a team that is developing and integrating technologies to support real-world operations for the military.
As a Senior Software Developer with ARA you will:
• Play a significant role in building complex software systems
• Compose, run, and debug Docker containers
• Design and develop REST APIs
• Design, develop and debug Java M&S capabilities
• Candidates will be focused on integrating new modeling and simulation (M&S) capabilities into containers and developing REST APIs
• Work directly with our customers, external teams, and other ARA programs to cross-integrate capabilities
Senior Software Developer Requirements:
• Due to the work you’ll perform and interactions with the intelligence community and DoD programs you will need to be a US citizen with the ability to obtain a DoD Security Clearance (selected applicants will undergo a security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements at the time of employment)
• Requires a BS in Computer Science or related field with a minimum of 7+ years of work experience
• Strong foundation in software development and experience with one or more languages (Java, Python, C#, C++, etc.)
• Understanding of best practices for software development including coding standards, code reviews, version control, build processes, CI/CD, and testing
• Interest in learning new languages and technologies and mentoring others learning those languages
• Ability to understand and solve complex problems and lead the development of new features
• Team player with excellent presentation and written/oral communication skills
Senior Software Developer Preferences:
• MS in Computer Science or related field
• Experience with any of the following
+ Web frameworks such as Vue, React, node.js, etc.
+ SQL databases such as MySQL Postgres, etc.
+ NoSQL databases such as MongoDB
+ ORMs such as Hibernate, SQLAlchemy, etc.
+ REST APIs
+ JSON and XML experience
+ Agile software development practices
+ Experience composing, running and debugging Docker containers
+ Mobile development on Android and/or iOS
Applied Research Associates, Inc. (aka ARA) is an employee-owned international research and engineering company known for providing technically superior solutions to complex and challenging problems in the physical sciences. We were founded in Albuquerque, NM in 1979 as the disco era was, thankfully, closing out and the personal computer era was beginning. We employ over 1,500 professionals and continue to grow. ARA offices throughout the U.S. and Canada provide a broad range of technical expertise in defense, civil, and health technologies, computer software and simulation, systems analysis, environmental technologies, and testing and measurement.
ARA also prides ourselves on having a challenging culture where innovation & experimentation are the norm. At ARA, employees are our greatest assets, so we give our employees the tools, training, and opportunities to take active roles as owners. The motto, “Engineering and Science for Fun and Profit” sums up the ARA experience. The company realizes employee ownership spawns greater creativity and initiative along with higher performance and customer satisfaction levels. We are also very proud of our Women’s Initiative Network (WIN) whose purpose is to motivate, support, and encourage professional career development for women to maximize career and professional accomplishments.
To find out more about Software Enterprise Division visit our website at: https://www.ara.com/raleigh/
• 7 year(s): Relevant Work Experience
• Bachelors or better in Computer Science or related field
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)