This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
What Your Job Will Be Like:
Do you have a curiosity about using lasers for advanced manufacturing? We are seeking a hardworking R&D Laser/Optical Technologist to join our team supporting laser machining, laser assisted etching, and metal additive manufacturing.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Interact with customers, other technologists, and staff supporting all of Sandia's missions
- Support Custom Part Processing with Laser Irradiation which includes (1) laser machining using CAD files to directly machine parts through ultrafast laser irradiation,(2) laser ablation and laser annealing to affect surface properties, (3) nanosecond laser machining of thicker parts using a variety of wavelengths, (4) Impact studies through laser flyer plate launch, and more. In addition to completing jobs for customers, you will help develop new capabilities, trouble shoot, repair, operate, and maintain a variety of pulsed laser systems
- Support staff in safely operating, installing, upgrading, and maintaining Metal Additive Printing systems in support of R&D, prototyping, and production activities. Other duties include a wide variety of data during metal printing including thermal, optical, acoustic then analyzing the information
- Operate, repair, maintain, and modify the VarioScale laser assisted chemical etching tool. Its capabilities include localized etching of Si by laser scanning, the shaping of surfaces, in situ end-pointing for thickness control, uses both pulsed and CW lasers, and laser deposition of selected metals.
- Develop ES&H documentation such as operating procedures, pressure safety data packages, laser safety, electrical safety, etc.
- Work safely in a team environment and maintain security
Qualifications We Require:
- Associates in laser/optical, mechanical, or electrical technology or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and/or experience
- Experience working with open beam CW or pulsed lasers in a laboratory setting (laboratory class, research lab, or other)
- Experience with Computer Aided Design and CAM
- Able to acquire and maintain a DOE Q-level clearance
Qualifications We Desire:
- Experience operating, trouble shooting, repairing, and maintaining lasers
- Basic knowledge of Conventional or Subtractive Manufacturing
- Basic knowledge of Laser Based Metal Additive Manufacturing
- Knowledge of electronics and electrical characterization
- Knowledge of pressure systems and electro-mechanical systems.
- Experience operating, trouble shooting, maintaining, and/or repairing Laser based Metal AM printers
- Experience with mechanical design and CAD tools, e.g., Solid Works, ProE
- Experience with CNC Machining. CAM, G-code, and design for manufacturability
- Experience with MSOffice: Outlook, Excel, Power Point, Word
- Experience with LabView, MatLab, or Python
- Good oral and written communication.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
About Our Team:
The Advanced Metal Processing Department provides scientific and engineering expertise in the areas of laser machining/surface modification, precision engineering, metal additive manufacturing, and support for Granta Materials Information, for the Laboratories. Precision engineering includes the design and fabrication of miniature and meso-scale devices, conventional machining, electrical discharge machining (EDM), laser machining, laser etching/annealing, as well as technical consulting. Metal additive manufacturing includes powder bed, wire, FFF, and DED technologies. Laser materials interaction technologies include development. We implement usage of the Granta Materials Information database for the Laboratories. Our staff supports a variety of programs and is highly engaged in providing collaborative, innovative materials science and systems-based engineering solutions.
Our team is committed to nurturing a culture compatible with a broad group of people and perspectives in accordance with the changing makeup of the workforce. In support of this vision, our center actively recruits applicants from diverse groups of backgrounds and fosters an inclusive community.
Join us and work towards your goals while making a difference!
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible work arrangements for many positions include 9/80 (work 80 hours every two weeks, with every other Friday off) and 4/10 (work 4 ten-hour days each week) compressed workweeks, part-time work, and telecommuting (a mix of onsite work and working from home)
- Generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.
Job ID: 686450