COMPLIANCE OFFICER (Recent Grad)
Please only apply for this position at USAJOBS - Job Announcement. Applications will not be accepted on Handshake.
Join the team! This position is located in the Headquarters Office of the Consumer Product Safety Commission in the Regulatory Enforcement Division (CRE) within the Office of Compliance (EXC). CRE is responsible for assessing product compliance to consumer product regulatory requirements and taking enforcement actions, if necessary, to compel compliance.
Duties: The CPSC is seeking recent graduates under the Pathways Program. This position may be filled in either of the two branches in the Regulatory Enforcement Division, Children's Durable Products and Mechanical/Chemical Products branch. This position is provided for recent graduates with a desire to work in the consumer product safety field and/or public sector and assignments are designed to complement the graduates educational field while meeting the expressed needs of the agency and CPSC organizations.
Candidates must be focused and self-motivated individuals with demonstrated experience successfully completing assignments requiring critical thinking and analysis under tight deadlines. Candidates must possess strong writing skills, be comfortable and experienced with applying data-driven approaches and be able to communicate effectively orally and through use of standard visualization and presentation tools.
Candidates with degrees in the hard sciences and engineering are encouraged to apply, but this background is not required.
Candidates with backgrounds in interpreting and applying U.S. import regulations and requirements are also encouraged to apply but this background is not required.
The Division is responsible for enforcing mandatory standards and regulations, negotiating recalls, and providing advice and guidance to the regulated community and other stakeholders. As a Compliance Officer, you will:
- Determine whether products violate regulatory requirements, communicating violations and technical information to affected parties, and negotiating product recalls and other corrective action.
- Maintain, manage, and interpret data from multiple sources to provide case and program efficiency recommendations to management.
- Manage caseloads in accordance with agency and office priorities, and provide subject matter expertise to other offices, field investigators, industry, and the public. Conduct investigations and assess technical materials (i.e. lab reports, analyses, etc.) to determine whether products meet or violate technical regulations.
- Develop and recommend data-driven investigative strategies to promptly identify emerging trends and hazards related to regulatory and voluntary product standard activities.
- Brief management on case facts and recommend action, in addition to preparing formal communication with global businesses, trade organizations, and other government agencies.
- Negotiate, evaluate, and participate in monitoring recalls and other corrective action plans by companies, including the coordination of drafting press releases and safety notices.
Education: All applicants must meet one of the following requirements to qualify:
GS-07: Applicants must have 1 full year of graduate level education or undergraduate superior academic achievement.
GS-09: Applicants must have a Master’s or equivalent graduate degree or 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or LL.B or J.D.
All applicants MUST submit a copy of their college transcripts with the degree conferred date. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable during the application process.
All materials must be submitted by the closing date of this announcement.
All education claimed by applicants will be verified.
Please refer to the link USAJOBS - Job Announcement for more information.