Senior Software Engineer
About Research Square
Research Square Company, a five-time INC 5000 award winner, exists to make research communication faster, fairer, and more useful. Through our industry-leading preprint platform, Research Square, research promotion tools, and AJE’s comprehensive suite of manuscript preparation services, we are proud to have supported over 2.5 million authors in 192 countries since our founding in 2004. Across all sides of our business, our team of former researchers and publishing industry professionals truly understand the importance of sharing research results with the world. By helping researchers communicate their work more effectively, we accelerate the pace of global discovery and advancement.
As a Senior Software Engineer at Research Square, you will work in a team environment to design, develop, test, and implement software applications, APIs, and third-party integrations. You will work closely with key stakeholders from across the company to identify areas of improvement, scope project work, and work with your peers to complete projects.
As a senior engineer, you may also assume the role of a Project Lead on one of our development teams. As a Project Lead and Senior Software Engineer, you will be entrusted to lead initiatives and contribute in a leadership capacity including mentoring, sprint planning, and project estimation. You will work closely with the team's Technical Project Manager to ensure that your team is working efficiently and aligned with Research Square's business objectives.
Research Square engineers and researchers have the freedom to innovate and uncover breakthroughs—and, in turn, influence our product roadmap. We rely on individual contributors to drive the technical roadmap around things like performance, security, and the design of new systems.
To encourage and foster innovation, engineers receive 12 days per quarter to explore innovative ideas and address technical debt.
- Design, build, deploy, and maintain highly resilient and scalable systems that are critical to the success of our clients and customers
- Often have ownership of our projects end-to-end, including but not limited to technical design, writing code, participating in code review, shipping your code, and post-release monitoring and analytics
- Contribute both front-end and back-end code for various applications, including new development and refactoring
- Collaborate with our team of engineers, product owners, and specialists in an autonomous and supportive environment
- Diagnose performance bottlenecks and implement optimizations
- Write quality code that is reliable and maintainable using industry best practices
- Collaborate with team to plan and estimate work
- Demonstrate strong knowledge of security coding practices and secure system fundamentals
- Solve a variety of problems, applying pragmatism and solid design to your solutions
- Stay abreast of industry standards and emerging technologies and promote their use within our team when appropriate
- Contribute to a successful team dynamic through pairing, design discussions, and the code review process
- Create solutions that support researchers around the world
- B.S. in Computer Science, Computer Engineer, or a technology-related field or equivalent experience
- 7+ years developing software in an industry-standard language (e.g. PHP, Python, Java, C#)
- Experience working with modern web frameworks
- Experience using a SQL database: MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc.
- Experience working on a team in a professional setting
- Experience developing, debugging, and shipping software
- Desired Skill
- Experience with any of the following: Symfony, Laminas, .NET, Next.js, React, MySQL, ElasticSearch, AWS Services
- Experience building RESTful APIs and documentation
- Experience with academic publishing (or academia more generally)
- Experience developing eCommerce solutions
Our Current Toolbox: React, Next.js, Node, PHP, Docker, MySQL, Git, AWS
- Relocation is not required as this position can be remote-based.
- This role can be based anywhere in the US.
Working at Research Square Company
Our team embraces and fuels change, fights for simplicity invest in customers’ success, and applies a data-driven approach to continuously improve and magnify our impact. We have developed tools and services that have been adopted by major international publishers to improve the publishing experience for their authors.
We are a high-growth, family-friendly, and mission-driven company that regularly wins awards for our workplace culture, the pace of growth, and innovations. Our organization is casual and flexible while also being stimulating and dynamic. We have a results-focused work environment.
- One of Fast Company’s 95 Brands that Matter in 2021
- Sloan Award for Workplace Flexibility (2011, 2012)
- When Work Works Award (2014, 2016, 2017)
- NC Parenting Magazine’s Family Friendly 50 (2013, 2014)
- Triangle Business Journal's Best Places to Work (2017, 2019, 2020)
- NCBC Breastfeeding-Friendly Employer Award (2017)
- Family Forward NC Featured Business (2019)
Research Square Company’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunity in all its employment practices without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, marital status, protected veteran status, military status, age, individuals with disabilities, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression or any other legally protected category. Applicants for US-based positions with Research Square must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required as a condition of hire.
Research Square supports individuals with disabilities and provides reasonable accommodations to job applicants. If you need assistance completing our online job application, email Recruitment@researchsquare.com. General inquiries, such as those regarding the status of a job application, will not receive a reply.