Academic Editor - Engineering
We are looking for generalist editors with a strong editing and research background in engineering. Academic Editors help researchers successfully communicate their work through trusted author-oriented solutions to overcome the barriers to the manuscript preparation process.
Our Academic Editors have a strong background in academic research and stellar language editing skills. You will improve the writing in academic manuscripts to a level that is appropriate for peer review.
The Academic Editor is a motivating position. It entails delivering a high volume of consistently high-quality edits (several manuscripts per day, editing at the sentence level), and it requires a combination of strong editing and time management skills as well as expertise in a specific field of study.
Academic Editors work from anywhere in the United States that is most productive for them on a schedule that suits their lives. Our employees are distributed across the United States, so we're all working together from different locations.
Field of Study (AOS):
Engineering will have experience with editing in LaTeX and will have expertise in the following fields: acoustics, aeronautics, astronautics, chemical engineering, civil engineering, electrical engineering, energy engineering, environmental engineering, industrial engineering, materials engineering, mechanical engineering, nuclear engineering, ocean engineering, petroleum engineering, robotics or systems engineering.
- Communicates with our support, customer service, and editing teams as needed to serve our customers best and in line with team expectations
- Edits in line with our scope and service goals
- Meets workflow-specific quality standards, volume targets, and deliverables
- Makes our company a better place
- Works effectively in a stimulating environment
- Advanced degree (Masters or Ph.D.)
- 1-2+ years of relevant experience
- Expertise in their field of study, as demonstrated
- The work is results-oriented and communication is often asynchronous, so written communication skills and a dash of tech-savvy are a must.
- Proficiency in MS Office
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills-written, face-to-face, and virtual
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work resourcefully and professionally in an enthusiastic environment
Relocation is not required as this position can be remote-based.
This is a US-based role.
The starting, non-negotiable, annual salary for this role is $50,000 (40/hrs) and $40,000 (32/hrs).
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
Working at Research Square Company
Our team embraces and fuels change, advocates for simplicity, invests in customers’ success, and applies a data- motivated approach to improve and magnify our impact. We have developed tools and services that have been adopted by major international publishers to improve the publishing experience for their authors. We are a high-growth, family-friendly, and mission-committed company that regularly wins awards for our workplace culture, the pace of growth, and innovations. Our organization is casual and flexible while also being stimulating. We have a results-focused work environment.
- Sloan Award for Workplace Flexibility (2011, 2012)
- When Work Works Award (2014, 2016, 2017)
- NC Parenting Magazine’s Family Friendly 50 (2013, 2014)
- Triangle Business Journal's Best Places to Work (2017, 2019, 2020)
- NCBC Breastfeeding-Friendly Employer Award (2017)
- Family Forward NC Featured Business (2019)
Research Square Company’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunity in all its employment practices without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, marital status, protected veteran status, military status, age, people with disabilities, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression or any other legally protected category. Applicants for US-based positions with Research Square must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required as a condition of hire.
Research Square supports people with disabilities and provides reasonable accommodations to job applicants. If you need assistance completing our online job application, email Recruitment@researchsquare.com. General inquiries, such as those regarding the status of a job application, will not receive a reply.