The Magnet Division has an opening for a Mechanical Design Engineer. In this role, you will work with a team of engineers and scientists on the design of superconducting magnets and tooling, and support manufacturing efforts. You will execute solid models of magnets and associated tooling and equipment, create engineering drawings from those models, and prepare purchase requisitions and/or machine shop fabrication shop orders for those components. The position also performs specific and limited portions of finite element analysis and engineering calculations in support of the design effort. May also build and evaluate prototypes and models, construct, and test systems/equipment, conduct acceptance tests, and may propose upgrades or improvements. May also be asked to prepare for preliminary design reviews, review engineering specifications, and present reports.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Solid modeling and engineering drawing creation of superconducting magnets and magnet tooling, both parts and assemblies, using 3D modeling and design software.
- Conduct finite element analysis of thermal and structural components using ANSYS workbench.
- Support procurement, fabrication, and construction efforts.
- Support design and safety reviews
- Support fabrication, assembly, testing, installation, and commissioning
- Collaborate with scientists, engineers, and other technical staff
- Independently plan, coordinate, and execute assignments
(The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate professional level dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills, as well as years of relevant experience.)
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or closely related field, plus at least three (3) years’ relevant experience
- Proficient in Creo solid modeling software.
- Proficient in ANSYS Mechanical FEA
- Knowledge of material properties, manufacturing/machine shop processes, welding, hardware & component choice, manufacturing, installation, and dimensioning and tolerances
- Demonstrated ability to create accurate and detailed 3D system models and designs and then use them to generate mechanical manufacturing drawings to ANSI Y14.5 standards
- Ability to perform mechanical engineering design and analysis/calculation functions independently with general direction and review by a mechanical engineer or scientist
- Good technical communication skills for close communication with engineers (e.g., reporting changes and modifications) and with technical staff who assemble magnets and install and maintain tooling and equipment
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to review and check the 3D models and fabrication drawings of design staff
- Experience with custom scientific equipment including vacuum chambers & components, high current and high voltage equipment, water cooling, and/or cryogenic components
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook)
- Excellent interpersonal and time management skills