Internship - Power Operations Engineer
Job Summary (includes but is not limited to the following, other duties may be assigned)
This supervised position will allow for a college student who is seeking a career in the power industry to apply as well as enhance their knowledge with regard to all aspects power plant operation.
This position will require the individual to work a normal day shift as well as rotating shift when required.
Reports To: Plant Manager
- Assist Plant Engineer in day-to-day engineering tasks
- Assist Plant shift operations including local starting and stopping of equipment.
- Assist in Maintain shift operating logs and records when required.
- Read and record gauges and meters when required.
- Assist while under direct supervision by a qualified Calpine Employee with mechanical and electrical maintenance tasks, inspections, and troubleshooting.
- Assist in development of standard procedures for operations.
- Assist with Maintaining plant chemistry logs and records.
- Assist with the requisition spare parts inventory for plant equipment.
- Perform other duties as assigned while under the direct supervision of a Calpine employee.
- Report to and take day-to-day instructions, both written and verbal, from the Plant Operator A, Plant Manager and Operations Manager
- Pursuing a degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Construction Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Controls Engineering, Engineering Technology, or Chemical Engineering at an accredited college or university
- Junior or Senior standing, preferred.
- GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Legally eligible to work in the United States now and in the future.
- Willingness to work outdoors, in field locations, in a "hands on" environment.
- Willingness to adhere to plant safety standards, procedures, and practices.
- Good comprehension of basic engineering practices.
- Good problem solving and analytical ability.
- Strong computer skills especially in the use of spreadsheet and word processing programs.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Good organization skills and attention to details are essential
- Must be flexible and able to work harmoniously with others in a dynamic environment.
- Must be able to self-start and manage multiple simultaneous tasks and priorities.
- Must have reliable transportation to and from work.
Additional Calpine Information:
- Vaccination Information: Calpine requires an individual who is newly hired into this position to be vaccinated for COVID-19 within the first 28 days of employment - if not already vaccinated prior to starting employment. If you have any concerns regarding compliance with this requirement, you will need to discuss your concerns with Calpine’s HR department after a decision has been made about whether or not to make you a conditional offer of employment. Calpine does not require applicants to discuss vaccination status prior to receipt of a conditional offer of employment and complies with all applicable laws requiring reasonable accommodation.
- Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.
- Calpine is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please send an e-mail with your request to email@example.com. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are made on case-by-case basis.
Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP here