Labor Relations Specialist
Under supervision of the Labor Relations Manager, the Labor Relations Specialist will perform a full range of professional duties required to support labor relations administration including complex and/ or sensitive activities. Support collective bargaining processes, researches, analyzes and documents union represented complaints, negotiation process and proposed policies. In addition, performs employee disciplinary investigations and provides guidance to other departments within the HR directorate on a variety of compliance matters.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Act as the Labor Relations representative on issues related to IBEW, SCPSA, and USW bargaining unit employees for assigned departments/client groups.
- Advise client groups on issues related to Labor Relations, including investigations and disciplines, Laboratory/HR policies and applicable laws.
- Conduct investigations related to violations of policies or other expectations.
- Represent the Laboratory at third step grievance hearings.
- Prepare cases for arbitration and assist presenting attorney.
- Participate as a member of the bargaining team in labor contract negotiations and preparatory sub-teams.
- Provide training to supervisors in Labor Relations and related topics.
- BS degree in Human Resources, Labor / Industrial Relations or related field. Minimum of seven (7) years of experience in Labor Relations, investigative interviews or discipline handling, preferably on the management side with private sector employees.
- Experience in grievance handling, arbitration preparation, labor contract negotiations and handling of unemployment compensation issues preferred.
- Knowledge of labor and employment laws, e.g., NLRA, FLSA and FMLA.
- Ability to research, understand and apply Laboratory policies, labor contracts, arbitration awards, memoranda or letters of agreement or understanding and grievance settlements
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to resolve conflict
- Process and deadline orientation in work assignments
- Client service focus
- Ability to develop collaborative relationships both with management and unions
- Detail orientation
- Team player
- Superior analytical skills
- Multi-tasking skills
- Ability to work independently
- Knowledge of MS Word, Excel and Outlook