ASIC Layout Design Engineer
Are you interested in putting your skills in action and thrive in a technology-driven, team environment? If yes, then BNL is where you want to be!
We are looking for motivated ASIC Layout Engineers to join the Instrumentation Division in the ASIC group. You will contribute to the development of high-performance analog, digital, and mixed-mode ASICs for scientific instruments designed by BNL and our partners. You will be responsible for laying out a broad range of low-noise, precision, mixed-signal ASIC designs that include radiation sensors front-ends, base-band analog, RF, digital, data converters, data transmission, and sensor components. You will engage closely with other members of the ASIC team, which consists of a diverse, multi-disciplinary group of scientists and engineers with many decades of cumulative experience in custom ASIC design. You will be able to work a hybrid (i.e. telework and on-site) schedule. Fully remote option also available.
Our science and engineering challenges are complex and unique! We are engaged in the development of ASICs for particle detectors, high resolution X- and gamma-ray spectrometers, and high-rate photon counters and imagers. Our ASICs work in extreme environments (such as cryogenic temperatures) or must withstand extreme irradiation doses, thus represent unique layout challenges. We are also actively carrying out R&D programs focused on Quantum Information Science, Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning, and Neuromorphic Processing that require ASICs with specific layouts. The applications of these ASICs extend beyond BNL to a variety of international user facilities: your work will have the potential to shape the instruments used for scientific discovery and engineering advancements across the globe!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
As a member of the ASIC team, you will:
- Develop mask layouts, carry out their optimization and physical verification of analog, digital, and mixed-mode (i.e., analog-digital) ASICs for instruments developed by BNL’s Instrumentation Division using Cadence and Siemens CAD tools
- Develop processes and scripts for improving the reliability of layout and physical verification for both full-custom and automated (i.e., from RTL code) ASIC design flows
- Set up new CAD tools and process design kits (PDKs)
- Modify existing PDKs and verification decks to support custom devices
- Assist the ASIC designers with preparation of technical documentation and layout of test boards
- Contribute to new project initiatives by being involved in the modeling, design, and physical simulation of individual building blocks and complete ASICs
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline or closely related field of study
- Three or more years related work experience
- Fluency in ASIC full custom mask layout design, design processes and flows
- Familiarity with CAD/EDA tools for ASIC design and their interoperability
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Advanced degree (M.S.) in an engineering, physical sciences discipline, or closely related field of study
- Ability to execute analog and/or digital ASIC design flows for performing design tasks
- Basic knowledge of readout integrated circuits for radiation sensors, including signal processing, signal filtering, signal conversion, data transmission, and high-speed electronics
- Ability to work with SKILL, Tcl/Tk, ASSURA/PVS and Calibre DRC/LVS verification decks syntax as well as operating system shell scripting or other scripting languages (e.g., Perl, Python)