Staff Software Engineer
Want to create software that makes a difference? At the Virtual Heroes Division of Applied Research Associates, our goal is to improve our nation’s safety, security, and way of life. Join us!
We’re looking for dedicated, hard-working software developers with a passion for using modeling and simulation technologies to develop state-of-the-art training applications. You will be a key member of a team that is solving real-world problems for military customers. We’re seeking candidates that are go-getters that work independently. But, we also have a strong team dynamic. You will work in an agile team environment on several Research and Development (R&D) projects to develop tools, applications, and processes ranging from real-time simulation to cloud-native service architectures to web apps. You will serve multiple projects simultaneously, so agility, focus, and communication skills are a must. You must be able to use your knowledge of computer science concepts to solve problems.
Why Work For Us?
* The opportunity to make a real impact. The Virtual Heroes Orlando office has been doing cutting-edge modeling and simulation research for over 18 years. Everyone who works here is important, from new faces to those who have worked here since the beginning. Your contribution matters—you won’t be just a number!
* Flexible, reasonable hours. We encourage all employees to have a good work/life balance. We do not believe in burning you out! We invest in our people and want you to be happy with us for the long haul.
* Outstanding benefits:
+ Annual performance bonuses and raises
+ Generous company-provided retirement contributions
+ Hybrid work schedule
+ Available health benefit plans include medical, dental, vision, flexible spending, and pet insurance
+ Coverage for eligible dependents is available, including domestic partner
+ Company-paid life and disability insurance and employee assistance program (EAP)
+ 9 paid holidays per year, which can be moved to accommodate employee preference
+ Paid personal leave starting at 3.5 weeks per year with an annual rollover provision
+ Paid bereavement, jury duty, and military leave
+ Rewards & Recognition Services including service awards and employee discounts
+ Professional development opportunities, such as tuition reimbursement for continuing education and professional memberships.
+ Wide range of professional training and learning opportunities plus unlimited access to Learning Management System (Cornerstone/LinkedIn Learning)
+ Fully paid relocation
For additional information, please visit our benefits page at https://www.ara.com/benefits/.
Staff Software Engineer Requirements:
* Candidates selected may be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information
* BS (or higher) in Computer Science or a similar discipline (Computer Engineering, Physics, Math, Electrical Engineering, etc.) with 2+ years of experience, or an MS degree. Note: If the degree isn’t in Computer Science, experience using and knowledge of computer science concepts must be clearly demonstrated
* Equivalent professional experience (8+ years) will be considered for talented candidates without a degree
* Strong object-oriented programming skills and demonstrated knowledge of good software engineering practices
* Demonstrated passion and enthusiasm for using knowledge and skills to solve problems and produce high-quality work
* Ability to quickly understand existing code and enhance and build on an existing architecture
* Strong math skills and a solid understanding of algorithm design and optimization
* Demonstrated ability to work both autonomously as well as with large and small teams of programmers
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Staff Software Engineer Preference to applicants with one or more of the following:
* Python and/or C/C++ knowledge/experience
* Experience developing training simulations, 3D environments, or serious games
* Experience using modeling and simulation techniques
* Specialization in one or more of the following areas: UI, Tools Development, Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning, Physics, Graphics, Networking, Math
* Experience writing technical design documentation
* Familiarity with modern 3D rendering techniques (Shaders, Lighting Models, GLSL etc.)
* Experience developing multiplayer game/training applications
* Experience on mobile platform development (iOS, Android)
* Unreal Engine and/or Unity programming skills
* Knowledge or familiarity with interoperability standards in simulations, e.g., OGC web services
* Experience with Amazon Web Services or other cloud technologies
* Familiarity with container technologies and comfort in CLI environments
At Virtual Heroes we create immersive, 3D interactive learning solutions and high-fidelity synthetic virtual environments. As a division of Applied Research Associates (ARA), we work with scientists and engineers of many disciplines and diverse backgrounds to enhance the creativity and innovation of the mission-critical solutions we provide to our customers.
ARA is an employee-owned international research and engineering company recognized for providing technically superior solutions to complex and challenging problems. Founded in Albuquerque, NM in 1979, ARA currently employs over 1700 professionals and is rapidly growing. Our culture supports our exceptional staff of valued employees and encourages professional growth through continued higher education, participation and publication at technical conferences, and membership in professional organizations. As an ARA employee, you are encouraged to generate new ideas and bring those ideas to life. ARA offers competitive salaries and outstanding benefits including stock ownership, medical and dental coverage, long-term disability insurance, life insurance, a 401(k) profit-sharing plan, and annual bonuses. For additional information and an opportunity to join this unique workplace, please visit our website at http://careers.ara.com.
* 2 year(s): Relevant Work Experience
* Bachelors or better in Computer Science or related field
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)