Project Accountant- Budgeting & Reporting –FULLY REMOTE Position
Child Trends is looking for an Accountant who can handle General Accounting, build, and maintain project budgets, track spending on budgets, and report on spending. The position requires effective communication with our external research partners and our internal research staff. It involves handling highly confidential and sensitive information and interaction with staff at all levels of the organization. Independent judgment is required to plan, prioritize, and organize a diversified workload. This is a permanent full-time position with benefits.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for preparing project budget templates to align with requirements of RFPs.
- Responsible for preparing funder copies of budgets and budget justifications to accompany proposals.
- Prepare project spend down templates to track and monitor project spending as requested.
- Prepare and submit monthly internal reports.
- Maintain project/proposal charge codes to track direct and indirect expenditures in accordance with the uniform guidance, GAAP, and contract and grant requirements.
- Assist in the preparation of funder financial reports.
- Maintain project files by filing contractual documents, email correspondences, reports, and other pertinent project related documents.
- Monitor project spending and provide updates to project managers.
- Continuously monitor and update internal spreadsheets and templates as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications/Skills & Knowledge Requirements
- A Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business, economics, or related field with at least one year of direct related work experience OR a Master’s degree in accounting, business, economics, or related field required.
- Excellent writing, organizational, and communication skills necessary to be successful.
- High level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations. Demonstrated poise, tact, and diplomacy. Ability to work well with others and handle multiple assignments simultaneously.
- Analytical ability to gather and summarize data for reports and prioritize work.
- Keen attention to detail in composing, typing, and proofing materials, and meeting deadlines.
- Knowledge of a variety of computer software applications including Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Must be efficient with Microsoft Excel.
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Excel with demonstrable keen attention to detail.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Dynamics NAV a plus.
How to Apply:
Please follow the “apply” link to submit your application. When asked by the system to upload resume, please upload one document that includes your resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references. Materials must be combined into one document in order to be uploaded. If you have any difficulties with this process please email the requested materials to recruitment (at) childtrends.org and make sure to reference the position in the subject line. No phone calls please!
Child Trends is a nonprofit, nonpartisan research center headquartered in Bethesda, MD with more than 200 staff in over 28 states that provides valuable information and insights on the well-being of children, youth, and their families. For more than 40 years, policymakers, funders, educators and service providers in the U.S. have relied on our data and analyses to make better decisions and policies on programs serving children, families, and youth. www.childtrends.org
Child Trends is committed to hiring, retaining, and promoting staff who bring a rich diversity of experience to support our mission of improving the lives and prospects of children and youth, especially those made most vulnerable by the effects of historical and ongoing systemic discrimination. Together, we envision a world in which a child’s race, ethnicity, family income, gender, sexual orientation, disability status or any other social identity does not determine how that child will fare in life. Therefore, we approach every aspect of our work with these ideals in mind and encourage professionals who share in our commitment to apply.
Child Trends is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Protected veterans and individuals with disabilities encouraged to apply.