Field Staff - Early Childhood Data Collector
General Description: Child Trends** is looking for recruitment and data collection support to assist primarily with telephone outreach and survey data collection with childcare and early education (CCEE) licensing front-line staff and CCEE providers. Other tasks may include help with mailing and texting recruitment. Training, recruitment, and data collection for the research project begins in December 2022/January 2023 and continues through late May 2023.
Position Summary: Child Trends is fielding two surveys that will provide information about the characteristics, experiences, and perceptions about licensing from front-line CCEE licensing staff and CCEE providers. Data collectors will be asked to make outreach phone calls (the project will provide a phone with text, calling, and data capabilities) to eligible survey participants and will facilitate survey data collection over the phone. We anticipate hiring 4-5 data collectors to work on this task, with 1-2 of the staff being local to the Bethesda, MD office and 3-4 of the staff being remote. Data collectors who are willing and local to the Bethesda, MD office, will be asked to come into the office to mail out recruitment letters. Your location preference will be discussed during the interview.
The position is temporary and part-time. Staff must provide their own laptops for the work, but the project team will provide a pre-paid smart phone during the project period. Paid training and other activities to prepare for recruitment and data collection will occur in December 2022/January 2023. Applicants must be available to attend a virtual training in December 2022/January 2023. Recruitment and data collection will begin in January/February 2023 and is projected to continue through the end of May 2023.
In December 2022/January 2023, staff can expect to work around 3-5 hours per week. During the recruitment and data collection periods (February 2023 – May 2023) staff can expect to regularly work 10-25 hours per week, and additional hours may be available upon request. The hourly rate for this position is $25.00 per hour.
Location: 1-2 staff will report In-Person to the Bethesda, MD office for a short period and can otherwise work remote; 3-4 staff can be fully remote
*Child Trends’ offices are based in Bethesda, MD; Chapel Hill, NC; Minneapolis, MN. Many Child Trends staff work remotely, and while we are set up to hire remote staff in many states within the continental United States, we are not yet operating everywhere in the US and do not have any overseas operations. We are currently approved to hire staff in Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.
Typical Responsibilities and Duties:
- Attend a virtual training focused on the recruitment protocols
- Complete Child Trends’ data security and research ethics training
- Conduct reminder phone calls and send reminder text messages
- Conduct survey data collection via phone calls
- Mail out recruitment letters
- Track participant responses and send follow-up communication to participants
- Upload recruitment updates into a secure, online data platform
- Participate in weekly virtual check-in meetings
- Maintain confidentiality and professional standards at all times
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Desirable candidates should have flexible schedules with some evenings and weekend hours to make phone calls and be available for 2-4 days each week to conduct outreach during the months of January/February 2023 through early May 2023.
- Excellent communication skills: ability to engage, speak clearly, effectively manage the conversation, and maintain a polite and positive tone with strangers to encourage their participation in the survey.
- Experience with recruitment for social science research is a plus.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Be able to problem-solve and think quickly during phone conversations.
- Spanish language skills strongly desired.
- Commitment to conducting research ethically, and with a desire to advance equity.
- Be in compliance with COVID-19 health and safety protocols at all times.
- Pass an online training about conducting research projects that adhere to ethical standards and principles, as well as data security.
- Have own laptop with internet connection that can be used for tracking outreach, logging hours, sending emails (from Child Trends email address), and joining check-in meetings via Teams.
- Paid sick leave
How to Apply:
Please follow the “apply” link to submit your application. When asked by the system to upload resume, please upload one document that includes your cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references. Materials must be combined into one document in order to be uploaded. If you have any difficulties with this process, please email the requested materials to recruitment(at)childtrends.org and make sure to reference the position in the subject line. No phone calls please!
**Child Trends is a nonprofit, nonpartisan research center headquartered in Bethesda, MD with more than 200 staff in over 28 states that provides valuable information and insights on the well-being of children, youth, and their families. For more than 40 years, policymakers, funders, educators and service providers in the U.S. have relied on our data and analyses to make better decisions and policies on programs serving children, families, and youth. www.childtrends.org
Child Trends is committed to hiring, retaining, and promoting staff who bring a rich diversity of experience to support our mission of improving the lives and prospects of children and youth, especially those made most vulnerable by the effects of historical and ongoing systemic discrimination. Together, we envision a world in which a child’s race, ethnicity, family income, gender, sexual orientation, disability status or any other social identity does not determine how that child will fare in life. Therefore, we approach every aspect of our work with these ideals in mind and encourage professionals who share in our commitment to apply.
Child Trends is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.