Minimum starting pay for this position is $64,080 annually or commensurate with experience.
PHYSICAL OFFICE LOCATION: PEC Headquarters – 201 South Avenue F, Johnson City, TX 78636
Hybrid work options available.
Position open until filled.
The position is responsible for the creation of written business and technical information communications to external communications channels.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop business and technical information communications that enhance member and public understanding of the cooperative’s accomplishments, strengths, departments, programs and membership
- Develop creative approaches to storytelling and personal interest feature articles that enhance the awareness of the contributions, accomplishments and strengths of the Cooperative’s departments, programs, staff and membership
- Translate industry and technical information into clear and concise communications for various projects, including news articles, blog posts, website copy, magazine articles, advertisements, bill inserts, audio and visual scripts
- Contribute to and monitor the department’s editorial calendar
- Contribute to developing communications strategies, create communications plans, and independently manage projects through approvals from creation to execution, ensuring deadlines are met
- Provide strategic editorial guidance and develop campaigns in support of major company initiatives
- Perform research and interview cooperative members, team members, managers, and other stakeholders to develop content and ensure accuracy and efficacy of communications across various communications platforms
- Maintain brand consistency in the tone, voice, style and formatting of all written materials
- Work closely with designers to ensure optimal presentation for print and digital content
- Contribute ideas to team projects
- Attend corporate meetings and functions to cover events
- Assist in creating content for internal audiences
- Edit and proofread content created by others to ensure accuracy, consistency, efficacy and quality.
- Ensure that all content is properly adapted for distribution across appropriate channels for member, industry and public consumption
- Utilize various communications-based software and technologies
• Maintain the security of confidential information
• Stay abreast of advances in technology
• Demonstrate regular and prompt attendance
• Performs other related duties as necessary or assigned.
Supervisory and/or Leadership Responsibilities
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of using computer systems, which may include setting up and using hardware and software programs, entering data, configuration, or processing information
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer service
- Knowledge of all prominent writing disciplines, i.e., AP Style, MLA, etc.
- Knowledge of writing and editing best practices
- Skilled in engaging audiences through creative storytelling
- Skilled in translating concepts into engaging and creative content
- Skilled in time management
- Skilled in prioritizing and managing changing priorities
- Ability to comprehend and translate complex technical and industry information into compelling stories
- Ability to work under deadlines, conduct multiple tasks and maintain effective working relationships
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to understand and quickly assimilate corporate strategy
- Ability to foster cooperation, rapport and teamwork while participating in group projects
- Ability to proactively offer solutions for successful outcomes of projects
- Ability to anticipate, identify, analyze and resolve conflict and problems
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Ability to listen and understand information verbally and in writing
Minimum Qualifications - (Education, Experience, Certification, & Licensing)
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Creative Writing, Journalism, Communications or related field
- Directly related experience may substitute for education
- Three years of experience in journalism, communications, information technology or related field
- Valid Driver’s License
- Prior utility communications experience preferred
- Bi-lingual (Spanish) preferred
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee may be required to stand; reach with hands and arms, stoop and kneel
- The employee may be required to sit or stand for long periods of time
- The employee may be required to lift, carry, push, pull or move up to 25 pounds
- The employee may be required to travel
- Exempt employees receive a fixed bi-weekly salary to compensate them for all hours worked during each pay period
- This position may be required to work more than 40 hours per week
This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty required of the position given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of management to assign, direct and control the work of employees under supervision. The listing of essential duties and responsibilities shall not be held to exclude other duties that may be assigned based on the needs of the Cooperative.
Pedernales Electric Cooperative is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.