The Applied Electromagnetics Research Division of Applied Research Associates, Inc. (ARA) is seeking a dynamic Software Engineer to support our research and development in advanced multidisciplinary modeling and simulation for high performance computers (HPC) including multinode/multicore clusters. The qualified candidate selected for this position will work at our new Cypress, CA office!
What you’ll do as a Software Engineer:
* Work as a member of a team developing high-performance scientific computing software running on HPCs
* Optimize scientific computing codes for performance on HPCs, including using multithreading (e.g., OpenMP) and MPI
* Work with a unique group of highly skilled and experienced mathematicians, physicists, engineers, and computer scientists to solve complex, large-scale computational problems in electromagnetics and related fields.
Software Engineer Requirements:
* B.S. in Computer Science, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering, Physics, or a related field
* Significant and demonstrable experience in object-oriented programming in C++ and Python
* Strong understanding of algorithms and data structures
* Comfortable working in a Linux command-line environment
* Experience working with version control (e.g., Git, SVN)
* Ability to obtain and hold a Security Clearance
* Strong problem-solving/debugging skills
* Ability to clearly articulate progress on tasks in technical reports/meetings and develop technical presentations
* Experience working and collaborating with others in a team environment
* Willingness and eagerness to learn new skills
* Ability to develop a milestone schedule or work plan to achieve the final task objectives in a timely manner with limited supervision
* Experience in quick prototyping of algorithms
Software Engineer (C++/Python) Preferences:
* Active or previous Security Clearance
* Familiarity in the following areas:
* Computing languages such as MatLAB, Fortran, or similar programming languages
* Parallel computing using OpenMP and/or MPI including memory usage and load balancing or communication balancing
* Experience with GitLab or similar DevOps software
Applied Research Associates, Inc. is an employee-owned international research and engineering company recognized for providing technically superior solutions to complex and challenging problems in the physical sciences. The company, founded in Albuquerque, NM, in 1979, currently employs just under 1600 professionals. ARA offices throughout the United States and Canada provide a broad range of technical expertise in defense technologies, civil technologies, computer software and simulation, systems analysis, environmental technologies, and testing and measurement. The corporation also provides sophisticated technical products for environmental site characterization, pavement analysis, and robotics.
At ARA, employees are our greatest assets. The corporation realizes that employee ownership spawns greater creativity and initiative along with higher performance and customer satisfaction levels. ARA gives its employees the tools, training, and opportunities to take more active roles as owners. The culture is challenging; innovation and experimentation are the norm. Employees are eligible for contributions which not only add to the company’s success, but also their own through the Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP). The motto, “Engineering and Science for Fun and Profit” sums up the ARA experience. For additional information and an opportunity to join this unique workplace, please visit our website at www.ara.com.
Applicants should apply at www.careers.ara.com for the Software Engineer position, Job Code: STAFF006030.
* 3 - 5 years: Relevant Experience
* Bachelor of Science or better in Computer Science or related field
* Team Player: Works well as a member of a group
* Loyal: Shows firm and constant support to a cause
* Innovative: Consistently introduces new ideas and demonstrates original thinking
* Enthusiastic: Shows intense and eager enjoyment and interest
* Detail Oriented: Capable of carrying out a given task with all details necessary to get the task done well
* Dedicated: Devoted to a task or purpose with loyalty or integrity
* Work-Life Balance: Inspired to perform well by having ample time to pursue work and interests outside of work
* Growth Opportunities: Inspired to perform well by the chance to take on more responsibility
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)