Field Service Engineer 1 - Apprentice - Texas
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Location/Division Specific Information
The Materials and Structural Analysis Electron Microscopy business enables customers to find meaningful answers to questions that accelerate breakthrough discoveries, increase efficiency, and ultimately change the world. The M&SA EM business designs, manufactures, and supports the broadest range of high-performance microscopy workflows that provide images and answers in the micro-, nano-, and picometer scales.
How will you make an impact?
Combining hardware and software expertise in electron, ion, and light microscopy with deep application knowledge in the materials science, life sciences, electronics, and natural resources markets, the worldwide Electron Microscopy employees are dedicated to customers' pursuit of discovery and resolution to global challenges.
What will you do?
- Conduct on-site installation of complex equipment and follow testing procedures to ensure proper working order
- Conduct on-site scheduled planned maintenance visits
- Provide fixing and repair support for customers and other field service personnel
- Cultivate and develop positive working relationships with customers, system users and company personnel
- Travel, often on short notice, to customer sites to resolve problems or support other field service personnel
- Complete and submit field service reports
- Provide training for customers and users on system maintenance
- Provide feedback to product quality teams
- Provide appropriate input in writing updating and correcting various Thermo Fisher system documentation
- Provide feedback for various reports including identifying and isolating unique problems with system
- Act as a subject expert and resource for training
How will you get here?
This position is ideal for an experienced service engineer wanting to be involved with a dynamic team and exposed to a constant variety of customer application areas.
Proof of Vaccination Required
- Typically requires a University degree (Engineer/Mechanical) or equivalent education and experience in electronic system.
- Typically requires approximately 0-2 years hands on technical experience installing, fixing, repairing and calibrating complex analysis tools such as SEM, TEM, FIB or similar systems.
- Must have a thorough understanding and extensive experience fixing and repairing ultra-high vacuum and high voltage systems.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Ability to deal effectively with customers
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills; must have a professional working proficiency in English
- Proven ability to fixing complex systems and subsystems down to component level
- Literate in MS DOS and Windows software environments
- Able to read and interpret schematics
- Familiar with UHV phenomenon and technology
- Must have ability to obtain a valid passport and travel regionally and internationally as required
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
- Physical requirements include the ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with annual revenue of approximately $40 billion. Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Whether our customers are accelerating life sciences research, solving complex analytical challenges, growing productivity in their laboratories, improving patient health through diagnostics or the development and manufacture of life-changing therapies, we are here to support them. Our distributed team of more than 100,000 colleagues delivers an unrivaled combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and pharmaceutical services through our industry-leading brands, including Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific, Unity Lab Services, Patheon and PPD. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, religion, color, national or ethnic origin, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, genetic information, veteran status, age or disability status.