Research Technician - Disney Lab
Effective immediately, the Disney group in the Department of Chemistry at UF Scripps Biomedical Research (https://disney.scripps.ufl.edu) is seeking to hire an entry-level research technician at the Jupiter, Florida campus. Prof. Disney’s laboratory focusing on developing highly selective therapeutics from genome sequence utilizing advancements in annotating RNA structure and several novel technologies developed in the laboratory. Main therapeutic targets are orphan diseases that have no known cure and certain disorders with poor prognosis.
The research technician will perform, under supervision, a variety of routine scientific tasks, including setting up and performing biochemical assays, tissue culture, buffer preparation, set up and operation of standard lab equipment of moderate complexity, recording data, providing basic analyses and interpretations, performing other related duties, tasks and responsibilities as required or assigned. The successful candidate must be well organized and possess excellent communication skills. May prepare test specimens; may perform a limited number of non-repetitive procedures.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Perform routine scientific tasks, include biochemical assays (high throughput screening, gel electrophoresis, PCR, RT-qPCR, etc.), tissue culture, buffer preparation, expression and isolation of DNA, proteins, and enzymes from bacteria, and maintenance of instrumentation, among others.
- Document all experimental protocols, data acquired, and analysis thereof in a laboratory notebook.
- Work independently and as part of a team.
- Performs other job-related duties, tasks and responsibilities as assigned.
Commensurate with experience.
Bachelor's degree in appropriate area of specialization or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with horizontal and vertical electrophoresis (DNA and RNA).
- PCR, biochemical assays (using plate readers, for example) and bacterial and mammalian cell culture.
- Other molecular biology and biochemical techniques are highly desirable.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS:
To be considered for this position, applicants must upload a cover letter and resume.
Please provide names and email addresses of three to five references as part of the application process. When ready, the hiring department will contact the listed references via email requesting their reference letters to be uploaded directly to the application website.
This position is open until filled. Application review will begin immediately.
This is a time-limited position.
To apply for this position, visit https://jobs.ufl.edu/ Job number for this vacancy is 526729 and the deadline date to apply is open until filled. If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to apply for this position, please call (352) 392-2HRS or the Florida Relay System at (800) 955-8771 (TDD).
The University of Florida is an equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to building a broadly diverse and inclusive faculty and staff. The University of Florida invites all qualified applicants, including minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. The University of Florida is a public institution and subject to all requirements under the Florida Sunshine and Public Records laws.
REQ # 526729