Civil Engineer II/III - Raw Water Planning and Design
Civil Engineer II/III - Raw Water Planning and Design
Who we are…
Colorado Springs Utilities is a four-service utility that has proudly provided electricity, natural gas, water, and wastewater services to the Pikes Peak region for 100 years. As a community-owned utility, we are devoted to serving our community through effective stewardship and management of our resources. Nestled at the base of the Rocky Mountains, Colorado Springs is the perfect blend of mountain and city living. Boasting over 300 days of sunshine a year, it's no wonder why we were recently ranked the 2nd most desirable place to live in the United States (U.S. News & World Report, 2022).
Colorado Springs Utilities’ Water Planning and Design team supports the raw water system depended on by the Pikes Peak region. This system originates from snowmelt in the watersheds high in the Rockies consisting of the Arkansas Basin, Colorado Basin, and South Platte River Basin. More information on our water system can be found here. Our team is excited to offer the opportunity for a mid-level Engineer (II/III) to join our planning and design team. In this job, you will work with a team of highly skilled engineers responsible for designing water systems, water treatment plants, potable and non-potable, and distribution system planning. This is an incredible opportunity to leave a lasting impact on the design and delivery of safe and reliable water services to our community. This position will challenge you, ignite you, and integrate you further into the community of Colorado Springs.
How you’ll make an impact in this job...
- Perform engineering planning, design, and construction support of raw water infrastructure, including developing budgets, estimating project costs, tracking changes, and monitoring schedules
- Conduct hydraulic analysis of various raw water systems to ensure the ability to meet level of service requirements for supply delivery and storage
- Support internally and externally executed water engineering projects that include planning, studies, alternative analysis, design reports, condition assessments, failure analysis, operational testing, and developing recommendations for improvements
- Serve as an organizational resource for principles related to water engineering and safety
- Collect, verify, validate, and analyze data for projects
- Use computer modeling to aid in the design and operation of systems
- Support projects of various levels of complexity in the areas of planning, design, and operations for raw water systems, potable and non-potable water distribution systems, water transmission, and water treatment
- Support construction projects through technical reviews of engineering reports, submittal reviews, field inspections, commissioning, and start-up planning and implementation activities
- Support and manage issues, communication, environmental, permitting, and stakeholder engagement for internal and external projects
- Conduct water distribution system modeling support utilizing InfoWater, surge, and pump hydraulic system analysis
- An engineering degree from an accredited university is required. Civil, Environmental, Geotechnical, or Mechanical are preferred. Competency in Water Infrastructure concentration is preferred
- Experience in water infrastructure or wastewater planning, design, and analysis is highly preferred. Ideally, you will have relevant experience in raw water, open channel hydraulics, and water infrastructure design.
- EIT is required for an Engineer II. P.E. or reciprocity is required for Engineer III within 6 months
- **This job will be filled at either an Engineer II or Engineer III depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Knowledge and experience you’ll gain as a Water Engineer at Colorado Springs Utilities…
- Colorado Springs local and remote raw water collection, storage, and conveyance systems that include water supply operations for local watershed and trans-basin diversions consisting of intakes, diversions, tunnels, waters, pump stations, transmission pipelines
- Water rights and raw water operations in support of planning and engineering studies and alternatives, design, and construction projects
- Plant hydraulics, chemical, physical, and biological treatment processes, and process and instrumentation and controls
*This job is eligible for relocation assistance
The military job codes/duty codes most closely related to this role are: 120A, 12A, 51S, 881A 32E1, 32E2, 32E3, 32E4, 32EX 5311, 5904, 5310, 122, 5960, 8004, 144 1301, 1302, 1310, 2070, 6004, 6005, 9620, 9622, 9624, 9626, 9630, 9631, 9632
Our Commitment to our Employees…
Our people are the heart and soul of Colorado Springs Utilities. They keep the lights on, gas flowing, water coming in, and wastewater leaving. We do not just say people are important – we prove it! That’s why we are honored to invest in protecting the health and financial security of our employees and their families through our rich benefits program.
Time Off – Because everybody needs time off to recharge
Vacation –New employees accrue 13 days of paid time off to start, while our more tenured employees accrue 24 days per year
Personal Leave –3 days per year of personal leave
Paid Holidays –10 paid holidays per year
Sick Leave – Accrue 12 days of sick leave annually for those days when you or a family member is feeling under the weather
Vacation Buy – Purchase up to 40 hours of additional vacation time
Pension Plan – Looking forward to a comfortable lifestyle once you’re done working? The Colorado Public Employees’ Retirement Association (PERA) provides you with retirement benefits and peace of mind when you retire
Medical – Select from three comprehensive medical plans, starting at $10.30 a month. Employees also enjoy access to a Health Savings Account (HSA) and Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
Wellness Program – Voluntary wellness program that allows you and your spouse to each earn up to $500 to use towards healthcare expenses, $100 in Visa gift cards, and up to $400 in gym membership reimbursements
Dental – Select from two dental plans, with in-network preventive care covered at 100%
Vision – Voluntary plan that covers full vision care services and discounts on LASIK eye surgery
Retirement Saving Programs – Supplement your pension plan with voluntary retirement programs such as the PERAPlus 401(k) and MissionSquare’s Roth IRA and 457 plans.
Disability Coverage –Short-Term (STD) and Long-Term Disability (LTD) insurance available for purchase
Employee Assistance Program (EAP) – Makes the going a little easier by aiding with mental health, stress management, work-life balance, financial and legal matters, and much more
Long-Term Care Insurance – Whether it's due to an accident or a serious illness, LTC insurance is available for purchase to help you and your loved ones
Life Insurance –Company-paid life insurance and supplemental coverage are available