Civil / Environmental Engineer (I/II)
Civil / Environmental Engineer (I/II)
Who We Are...
Colorado Springs Utilities is one of the largest four-service public utilities in the nation, providing water, wastewater, electric, and natural gas services to 500,000 residents in the Pikes Peak region. Our work culture is dedicated to innovation, collaboration, and synergy.
As a Civil / Environmental Engineer in the Wastewater Planning & Design Unit at Colorado Springs Utilities, you will primarily support the Sanitary Sewer Collection System. You will be joining a team that provides engineering support to Utilities’ wastewater system comprised of the collection system, 20 lift stations, and 3 water resource recovery facilities, providing you with opportunities to work on interesting projects and expand your knowledge.
How you’ll make an impact as an Environmental Engineer…
- Assist with long-term Collection System planning that includes analysis of land use, flow projections, lift station loading, pipe capacities; writing plan documents, and developing figures
- Become proficient in the use of the collection system computer model (InfoSWMM) to assess pipe capacities, future estimates of lift station influent flows, and water resource recovery influent flows
- Deploy flow meters in the collection system to aid with calibration of the InfoSWMM model
- Assist with requests from Utilities Development Services for variances from current standards and developer requests for connections to the system
- Assist with analysis for annexation requests
- Deploy OdaLog instruments to measure hydrogen sulfide concentrations at problem areas in the collection system
- Assist with technical support for capital projects associated with the collection system
- Analyze flow problems that arise in the collection system
- Develop conceptual designs for sanitary sewer pipes and manholes
- Assist with other engineering opportunities within the Wastewater Planning & Design Unit
Education and Experience Requirements…
- A bachelor’s degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering is required
- Some knowledge of open channel hydraulics, pumps, AutoCAD Civil 3D, and GIS is preferred
- A valid driver’s license is required
This position will be filled as either an Engineer I or II depending on the knowledge, skills, and experience of the candidate selected.
The military job codes/duty codes most closely related to this role are: 120A, 12A, 51S, 881A32E1, 32E2, 32E3, 32E4, 32EX5311, 5904, 5310, 122, 5960, 8004, 1441301, 1302, 1310, 2070, 6004, 6005, 9620, 9622, 9624, 9626, 9630, 9631, 9632
Our Commitment to our Employees…
Our people are the heart and soul of Colorado Springs Utilities. They keep the lights on, gas flowing, water coming in, and wastewater leaving. We do not just say people are important – we prove it! That’s why we are honored to invest in protecting the health and financial security of our employees and their families through our rich benefits program.
- Time Off – Because everybody needs time off to recharge
- Vacation – New employees accrue 13 days of paid time off to start, while our more tenured employees accrue 24 days per year
- Personal Leave –3 days per year of personal leave
- Paid Holidays –10 paid holidays per year
- Sick Leave – Accrue 12 days of sick leave annually for those days when you or a family member is feeling under the weather
- Vacation Buy – Purchase up to 40 hours of additional vacation time
- Pension Plan – Looking forward to a comfortable lifestyle once you’re done working? The Colorado Public Employees’ Retirement Association (PERA) provides you with retirement benefits and peace of mind when you retire
- Medical – Select from three comprehensive medical plans, starting at $10.30 a month. Employees also enjoy access to a Health Savings Account (HSA) and Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Wellness Program – Voluntary wellness program that allows you and your spouse to each earn up to $500 to use towards healthcare expenses, $100 in Visa gift cards, and up to $400 in gym membership reimbursements
- Dental – Select from two dental plans, with in-network preventive care covered at 100%
- Vision – Voluntary plan that covers full vision care services and discounts on LASIK eye surgery
- Retirement Saving Programs – Supplement your pension plan with voluntary retirement programs such as the PERAPlus 401(k) and MissionSquare’s Roth IRA and 457 plans.
- Disability Coverage –Short-Term (STD) and Long-Term Disability (LTD) insurance available for purchase
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) – Makes the going a little easier by aiding with mental health, stress management, work-life balance, financial and legal matters, and much more
- Long-Term Care Insurance – Whether it's due to an accident or a serious illness, LTC insurance is available for purchase to help you and your loved ones
- Life Insurance –Company-paid life insurance and supplemental coverage are available
Curious about joining our team? Learn more at https://coloradospringsutilities.jobs/jobs/