Human Factors Scientist (6175)
Exponent is a leading engineering and scientific consulting firm that brings together more than 90 different disciplines to solve the most pressing and complicated challenges facing stakeholders today. Our vision is to engage the brightest scientists and engineers to empower clients with solutions for a safe, healthy, sustainable and technologically complex world. We leverage over 50 years of experience in analyzing accidents and failures to advise clients as they innovate their technologically complex products and processes, ensure the safety and health of their users, and address the challenges of sustainability.
We offer opportunities for you to expand your engineering or scientific knowledge amidst experts with degrees from top programs at over 500 universities. At Exponent, you will apply your experience, technical skills, and prior academic research to a fulfilling career in consulting. You will have the opportunity to develop continuously through formal and informal development programs, coaching and mentoring, and involvement in a wide array of projects. We are excited about your interest in joining our growing team!
- 1100+ Team members
- 900+ Consultants
- 550+ Ph.D.’s
- 30+ Offices globally
The Human Factors Practice is seeking a Human Factors Scientist to join the existing and ever-growing team of researchers at Exponent’s Centers for Scientific User Research (CSUR), which include a 6,000-square-foot research center in Phoenix with six labs, many of which are highly specialized (e.g., optometry lab, motion tracking suite, etc.), as well as a lab in Philadelphia focused on medical device work. This position, which will be located in New York, NY, will be responsible for conducting user research studies for major consumer electronics, medical device, and industrial equipment manufacturers and for serving as project manager on a potentially large number of such engagements.
Additional responsibilities will include:
- Supporting a range of consulting activities that involve usability and user experience evaluations, including design research, survey design, expert review, usability testing, health and safety studies, psychophysics and threshold detection, motion tracking, eye tracking, workflow studies, and user requirements engineering
- Working on multi-disciplinary projects
- Providing project management, data processing, and other project support
- Conducting research to obtain and review third-party technical data, scientific literature, and standards
The ideal candidate for this position possesses a strong basic scientific background in the foundations of cognition, perception, and human decision-making. Candidates should furthermore be comfortable working in a professional engineering and scientific consulting environment, which demands a high degree of self-motivation, dedication, and resilience.
Qualifications for this position include:
- Ph.D. in Experimental or Cognitive Psychology, Developmental Psychology, Cognitive Science, or a related basic scientific psychology field
- At least two to three years of multiple-study user experience research related to products headed to market or already in the marketplace
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills as well as strong interpersonal skills
- Strong mathematical aptitude and proficiency with statistics
- Strong aptitude and proficiency with user research facilitation
- Solid foundation in science of cognition, perception, and human decision making
- Consummate project management skills and ability to juggle multiple teams concurrently
- Diplomatic assertiveness and ability to work with accuracy under tight deadlines without the need for extrinsic motivation or extensive guidance
To learn more about life at Exponent and our impact, please visit the following links.
We value and encourage diversity, equity and inclusion across all facets of our firm. Having a team built of people with different backgrounds, skills and perspectives allows us to provide better value to our clients and enjoy an enriched work environment.
Our firm is committed to offering a variety of programs and resources to support health and well-being. We believe that providing competitive benefits as well as compensation and recognition programs empowers our staff to do work that makes a difference.
Exponent is a proud equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected status.
If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may email us at HR-Accommodations@exponent.com.