Internship – Power Operations Engineer
Calpine Corporation is America's largest generator of electricity from natural gas and geothermal resources with operations in competitive power markets. Its fleet of 76 power plants in operation and one under construction represents nearly 26,000 megawatts of generation capacity. Through wholesale power operations and its retail businesses, Calpine serves customers in 22 states, Canada and Mexico. Its clean, efficient, modern and flexible fleet uses advanced technologies to generate power in a low-carbon and environmentally responsible manner.
The company was established on the premise that a strong commitment to the environment is inextricably linked to excellence in power generation and corporate responsibility. Since its founding in 1984, Calpine has led the power industry in its unwavering commitment to environmental stewardship. In addition, its renewable geothermal plants use steam generated deep below the earth's surface to produce clean, renewable electricity.
Job Summary (includes but is not limited to the following, other duties may be assigned)
This supervised position will allow for a college student who is seeking a career in the power industry to apply as well as enhance their knowledge with regard to all aspects power plant operation.
This position will require the individual to work a normal day shift as well as rotating shift when required.
Reports To: Plant Engineer
- Assist Plant Engineer in day-to-day engineering tasks
- Assist Plant shift operations including local starting and stopping of equipment.
- Assist in Maintain shift operating logs and records when required.
- Read and record gauges and meters when required.
- Assist while under direct supervision by a qualified Calpine Employee with mechanical and electrical maintenance tasks, inspections, and troubleshooting.
- Assist in development of standard procedures for operations.
- Assist with Maintaining plant chemistry logs and records.
- Assist with the requisition spare parts inventory for plant equipment.
- Perform other duties as assigned while under the direct supervision of a Calpine employee.
- Report to and take day-to-day instructions, both written and verbal, from the Plant Operator A, Plant Manager and Operations Manager
- Pursuing a degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Construction Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Controls Engineering, Engineering Technology, or Chemical Engineering at an accredited college or university
- Junior or Senior standing, preferred.
- GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Legally eligible to work in the United States now and in the future.
- Willingness to work outdoors, in field locations, in a "hands on" environment.
- Willingness to adhere to plant safety standards, procedures, and practices.
- Good comprehension of basic engineering practices.
- Good problem solving and analytical ability.
- Strong computer skills especially in the use of spreadsheet and word processing programs.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Good organization skills and attention to details are essential
- Must be flexible and able to work harmoniously with others in a dynamic environment.
- Must be able to self-start and manage multiple simultaneous tasks and priorities.
- Must have reliable transportation to and from work.
Additional Calpine Information
- Vaccination Information: Calpine requires an individual who is newly hired into this position to be vaccinated for COVID-19 within the first 28 days of employment - if not already vaccinated prior to starting employment. If you have any concerns regarding compliance with this requirement, you will need to discuss your concerns with Calpine’s HR department after a decision has been made about whether or not to make you a conditional offer of employment. Calpine does not require applicants to discuss vaccination status prior to receipt of a conditional offer of employment and complies with all applicable laws requiring reasonable accommodation.
- Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.
- Calpine is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please send an e-mail with your request to email@example.com. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are made on case-by-case basis.
Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP here