Research Technician II-III
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center is an independent, nonprofit organization providing adult cancer treatment and groundbreaking research focused on cancer and infectious diseases. Based in Seattle, Fred Hutch is the only National Cancer Institute-designated cancer center in Washington.
With a track record of global leadership in bone marrow transplantation, HIV/AIDS prevention, immunotherapy and COVID-19 vaccines, Fred Hutch has earned a reputation as one of the world’s leading cancer, infectious disease and biomedical research centers. Fred Hutch operates eight clinical care sites that provide medical oncology, infusion, radiation, proton therapy and related services, and network affiliations with hospitals in five states. Together, our fully integrated research and clinical care teams seek to discover new cures to the world’s deadliest diseases and make life beyond cancer a reality.
At Fred Hutch we value collaboration, compassion, determination, excellence, innovation, integrity and respect. These values are grounded in and expressed through the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion. Our mission is directly tied to the humanity, dignity and inherent value of each employee, patient, community member and supporter. Our commitment to learning across our differences and similarities make us stronger. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an anti-racist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, anti-racism and inclusion.
A Research Technician position (full-time) is available immediately in a laboratory within Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center’s Translational Research Program. The Laboratory for the Study of Metastatic Microenvironments focuses on understanding the biology underlying disseminated tumor cell (DTC) dormancy and formulating therapeutic means to eradicate dormant DTCs. We are looking for meticulous individual who understands the urgency and importance of our work to join our team to help us profile human DTCs isolated from breast cancer patients. The outcome of this work will be the identification of targets for immunotherapy. You can read more about this program on Hutch News.
The ideal candidate will have a strong interest in cancer metastasis, immunology, and translational research. They will be responsible for: following detailed, time-sensitive protocols for processing patient specimens, mastering flow sorting techniques to purify single DTCs, following meticulous protocols to generate single cell transcriptomes, and assisting with follow up experiments to test potential immunotherapeutic targets in experimental models.
This position will work under the Principal Investigator and with the lab to:
- Keep meticulous records on processed samples, storage conditions and data generated on a large human clinical study.
- Adhere fastidiously to detailed protocols to process human bone marrow, index sort single DTCs, and perform single cell transcriptomic libraries.
- Conduct immunohistochemistry and immunofluorescence on human tissue specimens.
- Organize sequencing data for downstream processing.
- Assist with follow up experiments in mice and in cell culture to test biologic and immunologic implications of human studies.
- Perform statistical analyses to analyze resulting data.
- Perform other duties as required.
- A bachelor’s degree in cell biology, immunology, or related disciplines.
- Research Technician II - at least two years of independent research experience in a laboratory setting is required
- Research Technician III - senior level position requiring extensive experience in a laboratory
- Experience with mammalian cell culture is required.
- Experience with flow cytometry and genomic approaches is a definite bonus.
- The ideal candidate will be meticulous, self-driven,and excited to participate in this critical work.
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccine requirement, with exceptions only for approved medical or religious accommodations. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees must, prior to their first day of employment:
Provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 ; OR
Initiate the accommodations process to request a religious or medical accommodation (medical accommodations require a healthcare provider’s certification).
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in your career or that will be made through your work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at email@example.com or by calling 206-667-4700.