Hazardous Materials Technician - Jupiter, FL
This position will be responsible for collecting and processing biological, radiological, and hazardous wastes from the laboratories; performs varied clerical and technical tasks in support of the EHS department, specifically related to biological, radiological, and hazardous waste; and performing other departmental tasks as needed.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Daily pick-up of biological waste from all research & core service laboratories and animal resource center. Bring them to designated collection room for shipments.
- Daily pick-up of liquid and solid hazardous chemicals or other waste to designated collection areas. Sort chemicals based on their hazardous waste profiles into designated receptacles and maintain paperwork associated with it.
- Periodically assist with the radiation program that shall include receiving shipments containing radioactive compounds, collection of radiation waste, survey of radiation room, and radiation waste disposal when needed.
- Inspection of eye wash stations, fire extinguishers, and safety showers on campus. Maintain spill kits and first aid kits.
- Schedule/coordinate waste collection with outside vendors.
- Provide ancillary services to university community that falls under EHS purview e.g., responding to spills, decontamination requests, provide waste collection containers as requested, routine cleaning and maintenance of EHS equipment and rooms, etc.
Commensurate with experience
High school diploma or equivalent and two years of relevant experience. Appropriate college course work or vocational/technical training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.
Experience handling hazardous waste
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS:
In order to be considered, you must upload your cover letter and resume.
Please provide names and email addresses of three to five references as part of the application process. When ready, the hiring department will contact the listed references via email requesting their reference letters to be uploaded directly to the application website.
This position is eligible for veteran’s preference. If you are claiming veteran’s preference, please upload a copy of your DD 214 Member Copy 4 with your application for consideration. See the Qualified Positions link on our applicant FAQs page for a list of eligible positions.
This is a time-limited position.
This position is open until filled. Application review will begin immediately.
To apply for this position, visit https://jobs.ufl.edu/ Job number for this vacancy is 524012 and the deadline date to apply is open until filled. If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to apply for this position, please call (352) 392-2HRS or the Florida Relay System at (800) 955-8771 (TDD).
The University of Florida is an equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to building a broadly diverse and inclusive faculty and staff. The University of Florida invites all qualified applicants, including minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. The University of Florida is a public institution and subject to all requirements under the Florida Sunshine and Public Records laws.