Research Technician - Wang Lab
The Monell Chemical Senses Center was founded in 1968 as the world’s first nonprofit scientific institute devoted exclusively to basic research on the chemical senses: taste, smell, and chemosensory irritation. Research at Monell contributes to a wide range of scientific and practical knowledge. With more than fifty Ph.D.-level scientists, the Center is making major progress toward understanding how the chemical senses function and their importance in everyday life. Ongoing chemosensory studies extend from investigating receptor mechanisms to evaluating the role of the chemical senses in human health and disease. The Center is located in the University City area of Philadelphia. For more information on Monell please visit our website at www.monell.org.
Monell offers competitive and comprehensive benefits including but not limited to medical, dental and vision insurance, life and disability, paid time off, paid parental leave, tuition reimbursement, 403b matching retirement, etc.
Monell provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified candidates or employees in any aspect of employment, any personnel practice, or in any term or condition of employment without regard to a person’s age, gender, pregnancy, race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, current or former membership or service obligations in the U.S. Armed Forces, or any other protected characteristic. Discriminatory practices are specifically prohibited by various federal, state and local laws.
The Wang Lab has an open position for a full time Research Technician who will be responsible for lab organizing, ordering, genotyping, and performing research experiments to investigate mechanisms of chemosensory (taste and smell) disorders. The successful candidate will be trained on research protocols, lab organization, ordering, genotyping, molecular biology methods, and histology techniques.
Duties & responsibilities include
- Ordering lab supplies
- Managing and genotyping transgenic colonies
- Assisting and performing experiments, including molecular biology, histology, and animal behavior experiments
- Assisting with data analysis
Minimum requirements for the position:
- BA/BS in Biology or related sciences preferred
- Some experiences with molecular biological techniques (DNA/RNA isolation, PCR, gel electrophoresis) is preferred
- Experience with murine models and basic knowledge of genetics is preferred
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Detail oriented and able to work independently
- Cover letter explaining your experience, research interests and career goals.
- Curriculum vitae
- The names and contact information of 3 references