Research Technician - de Lartigue Lab
The Monell Chemical Senses Center was founded in 1968 as the world’s first nonprofit scientific institute devoted exclusively to basic research on the chemical senses: taste, smell, and chemosensory irritation. Research at Monell contributes to a wide range of scientific and practical knowledge. With more than fifty Ph.D.-level scientists, the Center is making major progress toward understanding how the chemical senses function and their importance in everyday life. Ongoing chemosensory studies extend from investigating receptor mechanisms to evaluating the role of the chemical senses in human health and disease. The Center is located in the University City area of Philadelphia. For more information on Monell please visit our website at www.monell.org.
Monell offers competitive and comprehensive benefits including but not limited to medical, dental and vision insurance, life and disability, paid time off, paid parental leave, tuition reimbursement, 403b matching retirement, etc.
Monell provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified candidates or employees in any aspect of employment, any personnel practice, or in any term or condition of employment without regard to a person’s age, gender, pregnancy, race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, current or former membership or service obligations in the U.S. Armed Forces, or any other protected characteristic. Discriminatory practices are specifically prohibited by various federal, state and local laws.
The de Lartigue lab is looking for an experienced Research Technician, or recent graduate in biology/neurobiology/physiology, who is highly motivated to work in a collaborative laboratory studying the role of gut-brain signaling in the development of obesity. Previous research technicians in the lab have been co-authors on major scientific publications and have gained acceptance to prestigious graduate and/or medical programs. More information about the de Lartigue lab can be found at http://www.monell.org/guillaume-de-lartigue/
Duties & responsibilities include
Research (50% effort)
- Handle rodents, help with survival surgeries, and perform behavioral studies
- Keep accurate & detailed records of experiments
- Analyze experimental data
- Present data
Depending on experience and interest, opportunities may be available to work under the guidance of the PI or a post-doctoral researcher on projects leading to co-authored publications.
Lab maintenance and management (50% effort)
- Ordering and upkeep of supplies
- Maintenance of general laboratory safety
- Management of lab records
- Manage and maintain animal colony
Minimum requirements for the position:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in biology, physiology, neuroscience, or related subject
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Prior lab experience with rodents behavior studies, immunohistochemistry, and comfortable handling rodents
- Cover letter explaining your experience, research interests and career goals.
- Curriculum vitae
- The names and contact information of 3 references