Are you an innovative and adaptable self-starter who enjoys finding solutions to open-ended problems? Do you enjoy identifying, quantifying, and managing risk in a volatile commodity market through effective modeling, analytics, and risk mitigation strategies? In an ever-changing market, do you find yourself asking the “what-ifs” and coming up solutions before the “what-ifs” happen? Are you a critical thinker who can balance an eye for detail with big-picture vision? Do you enjoy managing large data sets and letting data to tell the story? Do you want to work for a growing energy company in a highly competitive market? Then the Risk Analyst may be the job for you!
Core job responsibilities
The Risk Analyst provides market analysis and develops models and simulations to support and optimize the daily risk management needs of the business. These include assessment of the Company’s price and volumetric exposure, portfolio position management, storage valuation, and value at risk, among others. The Risk Analyst engages external trade partners, pipeline operators, customers, and other gas market participants, to ensure effective retail and wholesale position management. Partnership with the Company’s internal business units (Sales, Trading, Middle Office, Finance, etc.) is critical to this role in ensuring the risks of the business are appropriately modeled and properly hedged.
Becoming an Analyst at Gas South offers exceptional growth opportunity with a four-level career path. As Analysts grow and gain experience, they progress through the four levels (I, II, Senior, Lead) and take on greater responsibility as both contributors and leaders. New hires start at a level commensurate with their experience.
Are you a fit?
A successful candidate for this role is proactive, curious, and a strong critical thinker. The candidate has strong knowledge of risk management fundamentals and their application within the energy industry; this core skill set is coupled with a fundamental knowledge of supply operations, asset management, and risk management within the energy industry, as well as the industry’s regulatory framework. The Risk Analyst is strategically minded and has the technical modeling skills necessary to effectively assess key business risk drivers as they apply to the Company’s broader enterprise risk management strategy. The Risk Analyst develops models and metrics to ensure risks are properly monitored, mitigated while complying to company’s risk management policy. The Risk Analysts holds strong analysis and modeling capabilities and is motivated by business growth.
Other stuff we like:
- Bachelor’s Degree – Actuarial Science, Risk Management, Engineering, Economics, Finance, Statistics, Marketing or Business/Management-related preferred
- Broad understanding of energy trading economics, physical contracts, and derivative instruments
- Experience in financial modeling, asset management and energy trading. Deep familiarity and experience with natural gas markets across the Southeast, Mid-Atlantic, Northeast, and Gulf Coast strongly preferred.
- Expert knowledge of risk measures, Black Scholes, Delta hedging, VaR, and related quantitative methods strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of gas market operations, including trading, the nomination & scheduling processes, capacity releases, storage and asset management; the energy industry’s regulatory framework at the state and federal levels (e.g., PSCs, FERC, Dodd-Frank compliance, etc.).
- Understanding of energy price structures and risks borne in various energy product structures.
- Strong technical and quantitative skills including data analysis, model building, model validation. Advanced Data Analysis skills (Regressions, Monte Carlo Simulations, probability/statistics, option valuation, and optimization) are strongly preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel with some programming experience or understanding of programming logic (VB, SQL, Python, etc.) is strongly preferred