Electrical Engineer/Project Manager
The Modernization Project Office (MPO) is seeking an experienced electrical engineering professional with project management experience. The individual shall have a minimum of three years of electrical engineering design with project management experience in commercial and institutional building applications. The candidate will assist project managers with electrical engineering tasks and will provide general electrical engineering support for design and construction projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Layout and design of electrical equipment including but not limited to normal and emergency switchboards/switchgears, motor control centers, distribution and branch panel boards, disconnect switches, motor starters/VFD, etc.
- Perform calculations to validate added loads to existing electrical service and/or distribution and coordinated overcurrent protection and equipment sizing to comply with NEC.
- Analyze engineering problems and offer effective and efficient resolutions to management/project manager in a timely manner while working on several projects at once.
- Development of design documents, specifications, and detailed risers.
- Prepare and/or review detailed cost estimates and contracts.
- Perform construction related activities including the review of shop drawing submittals, preparation of Request for Information (RFI) responses.
- Conduct site visits before and during construction to identify issues and recommend field modifications depending on site conditions.
- Perform project management duties including, but not limited to, validating project scope, tracking project budget and milestones, and ensuring procedural documentation is completed and recorded.
- Provide assistance to project managers overseeing projects by external A/E consultants.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering from an accredited University or College and at least three (3) years progressively responsible experience in electrical systems design.
- Must have broad knowledge of building electrical systems including grounding, lighting, lighting controls, and fire alarm systems.
- Detailed knowledge of the National Electrical Code (NEC- NFPA 70) and other NFPA codes relevant to power systems, fire alarm and applicable industry and client standards.
- Knowledge in the preparation of specifications for the selection and installation of power distribution equipment.
- Analyze complex engineering problems and offer effective and efficient resolutions to management/project manager in a timely manner while working on several projects at once.
- Knowledge in the preparation of load calculations, short-circuit availability, and other electrical power distribution and lighting calculations to support the design projects.
- Develop electrical construction bid documents including single line and three-line drawings, relaying schematics, equipment layouts, underground distribution duct banks, equipment schedules, conduit routing, distribution, motor control schemes, lighting and lighting controls, and fire alarm.
- Excellent teamwork and customer communications skills are required.
- Must be proficient in the use of AutoCAD to produce design drawings and sketches.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point).
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Advanced degree (e.g., Masters’ degree in Electrical Engineering)
- Professional engineering license in New York State
- PMP certification
- Proficient in Revit
- Knowledge of medium voltage distribution and transmission
- Development of low voltage design documents (telecom, security, AV)
- Proficient in SKM, Lumen, or any other industry recognized software to support calculations