Electrical Engineer 1
Functional Job Title NFPA Electrical Engineer 1
What You Will Do
The Engineering Services (ES) Division of Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) develops, maintains, and applies a diverse set of engineering capabilities to provide innovative engineering solutions that enable the Laboratory's scientific and national security missions. This position is within the ES Division and is assigned to the Institutional Project Delivery (ES-IPD) Group. This Group is responsible for implementing the Conduct of Engineering (COE) program at Los Alamos National Laboratory as pertains to design of utilities, infrastructure and buildings systems for nuclear and non-nuclear facilities. Facilities here at the lab host a range of different experiments and office spaces. Therefore, periodic maintenance of these facilities and their electrical systems is essential to ensure efficient production.
You will be working as part of the NFPA 70E electrical design team assessing, maintaining, and upgrading facility electrical systems at LANL. Specific tasks will include developing drawings, specifications, calculations and special inspections in order to maintain the technical baseline for new and existing facility systems throughout the facility lifecycle. This will require interfacing and coordinating with all stakeholders including other engineering disciplines, equipment manufacturers and customers during design and construction.
What You Need
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge of basic engineering principles and advanced principles in electrical engineering
- Ability to support one evening shift once per week for NFPA 70E support, when needed.
- Ability to provide primary support for NFPA 70E Team and secondary support to design.
- Ability to meet deadlines for NFPA 70E deliverables.
- Ability to communicate well, both written and verbally.
- Ability to collaboratively problem solve, show commitment, and function well in a team environment.
Education/Experience: Meeting minimum educational and demonstrated work requirements does not guarantee eligibility. Position requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering from an ABET-accredited engineering program and a minimum of 0 to 3 years of demonstrated relevant work experience.
- Engineering in Training Certificate.
- Knowledge of DOE and LANL Engineering Standards and Conduct of Engineering
principles and procedures.
- Ability to produce designs utilizing AutoCAD tools and work processes.
- Ability to produce one-line diagrams utilizing SKM Power tools.
- Awareness of industry, regulatory, or Department of Energy/National Nuclear Security Administration (DOE/NNSA) complex codes, standards, and criteria pertinent to the nuclear facility engineering discipline.
- Awareness of nuclear facility engineering principles and procedures, guides, appropriate standards, and administrative practices.
Where You Will Work
Located in beautiful northern New Mexico, Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in strategic science on behalf of national security. Our generous benefits package includes:
- PPO or High Deductible medical insurance with the same large nationwide network
- Dental and vision insurance
- Free basic life and disability insurance
- Paid maternity and parental leave
- Award-winning 401(k) (6% matching plus 3.5% annually)
- Learning opportunities and tuition assistance
- Flexible schedules and time off (paid sick, vacation, and holidays)
- Onsite gyms and wellness programs
- Extensive relocation packages (outside a 50 mile radius)